Long time windows users thinking of going linux :D

Thread: Long time windows users thinking of going linux :D

Long time windows users thinking of going linux :D

I had a few questions before I take the plunge here. My main concern is compatibility here. I hear Linux is getting good with this, will it run most of my windows programs? Also what is the learning curve like on Linux? Will it take me ages to figure out how to use it?

odds are your Windows programs wont run.

You may have some luck using Wine, or Crossover, or Cedega, to get some of them working but don't bet on it.

Learning curve really depends on what you want to learn. If you just use your computer to browse the web, then you'll have no learning curve at all. Best thing I can tell you is, Linux is not Windows and you didn't become a Windows expert in a day. So don't expect to become a Linux expert in a day either.
    Check out the Unix/Linux Administration Program at Seneca College.
    Thanx to everyone that helped/helps me on this forum!

t0mmyw on #linuxn00b

Another thing to consider... is do you really need program X to run?

What I mean is there is a comparable program written to run on Linux natively for almost every windows program (with the exception of video games).

For example, instead of trying to get WinAmp to run on Linux - try out the many versions that won't need an intermediary - like XMMS, Audacious, Amarok, etc.

The big exception is as I mentioned above - video games - most likely you will not get a new game off the shelf to run. There are projects out there dedicated to trying to solve this problem - like Transgaming and WineX - but at best, you are going to run slightly slower and introduce bugs on top of the game's code (since you have to convert from windows code to linux code before running it). The easiest solution is to setup a dual boot (can be done on a single hard drive) where you stay in Linux for your everyday use and if you get the urge to play a PC game that doesn't work in Linux, just reboot to windows for the duration of game play. Of course, if you don't really care for games then the one sore spot really isn't a concern for you.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

Using Wine, or Crossover to run Windows programs is problematic at best. As was stated, Linux has many applications that will work just fine. Why jump through hoops to get some Windows app to work? More than likely you won't be happy with the results.

If you're a gamer, do as suggested: Dual boot. It's done all the time. There are Linux users still addicted to Windows games. Hell, my son duel boots with his Mac Pro book. He login to Windows just to play his games and nothing more.

With the exception of games, you'll fine Linux does just fine for 95% of you're needs. Use one of the easier (newbie friendly) distros. Easy to install, friendly and useful forums.

Good luck
    Last edited by loopback48; 12-05-2008 at 10:27 PM.
    Thanks,
    Loopback48

Debian fanboy. And only Debian.

http://www.debiantutorials.org/

Linux is not a drop in replacement for Windows. It will replace it just fine, but you must be willing to spend some time learning. And trying to get a native windows program to work under Wine or other windows environment is not the way to start (Unless you enjoy hacking through some not inconsiderable problems - some do!) All that will do is send you screaming back to Bloatware Inc.

As the posters said, make a dual boot machine (or just get another) so that you can keep your Windows stuff working. You can begin to learn Linux (and it will take a while) without the sudden jump off the cliff. Years ago, I ran two machines as above as I gradually made the shift. And I still have a single XP machine because I like an occasional game that is available only for Windows.

Just don't expect to become a guru in a month, although you can start having fun the first day.

Konan

Dual booting is a very good way to start learning linux. Something else to consider is using live CD's versions of linux. That way you get a good idea how it will run on your system. Also you can check out differences between the distros and find one that suites you.
    Debian Testing
    Absolute linux 12.x

Actually, my suggestion for trying out Linux is not to even dual boot, but to run it in VirtualBox. That's assuming your hardware will handle it, but even on my aging work laptop I can run Kubuntu in VBox and it's quite usable. It's not as fast as running it natively of course, but as long as you don't try to draw any performance conclusions from it I think you'll be fine. On my home PC (which is much faster), I barely notice a difference between the VM performance and native.

Of course, I hate dual-booting (or any booting for that matter, I rarely reboot for any reason) with a passion, so I will tend to go out of my way to avoid doing it.

imho its mostly about preference and ease of use ... my wife and bro in law are window users but when i shifted to linux 2-3 yrs ago they were hesitant ... but now they seem to get the grasp of it considering they're both in the med field and use the computer for research and stuff ... they find it more productive and easier to use ... for me, it was work related that made me shift to linux and i love it now ...
    BASED FROM YOUR POSTS, I HAVE EXAMINED YOUR BEHAVIORAL PATTERN AND I SAW YOUR BRAIN'S TWO SIDES : LEFT & RIGHT, AND I SAW THAT ON THE LEFT SIDE THERE'S NOTHING RIGHT WHILE ON THE RIGHT SIDE THERE'S NOTHING LEFT

The learning curve entirely depends on what you expect to gain out of switching to Linux. If you're looking simply to learn something new and want to get the most out of it, then it will be VERY, VERY steep. It has taken me the best part of 8 years to build my own Asterisk server which also has Exim4 mailserver, spamassassin, Dovecot, NTPD, DHCPD, OpenVPN and a whole myriad of other stuff.

If, on the other hand you're not a sad geek with a canned-lager fetish like myself and you only want your computer for web browsing and e-mail and want a more gentle learning curve to suit your own needs then it doesn't need to be so steep.

IMHO the single, biggest advantage of Linux is the availability of these forums for people like myself and all the other posters to post comments and we (sadly, I know) enjoy posting them. We've embraced Linux and we're keeping the Open spirit alive by helping people who've wished to transfer themselves over. You cannot get this amount of support for any other system (that I know of).

Anyway, your Windows programs will not run under Linux at all. Simple. There are ways/means/tricks to get around that but for the basics, no, it will not happen. That's the bad news. The GOOD news is that (as trilarian said above) there are alternatives which have been written by other people to achieve the exact same goal. For example (thanks, trilarian) WinAmp is directly compatible to XMMS - even down to running the same skins.

Linux can, and does, achieve the same ends as Windows but you truly must appreciate that it will not come overnight and I would suggest strongly that you either dual-boot or use a separate machine (to maintain functionality) until you can handle the basics.

In the meantime, take a look at some of the documents on The Linux Documentation Project which is where I learnt my skills from. OK, it's taken time, but I now have a thorough understanding of the basics to such an extent that I can manage my own server.

It won't be easy and no-one will tell you that it is, but it IS an experience.

Good luck and remember to post any questions you have that you cannot solve via google and the other search engines back here - that's why we subscribe!

James
    -----------------------------
    UseLinux.net

perl -e 'use Math::Complex;$|=1;for$r(0..24){for$c (0..79){$C=cplx(($c/20.0)-3.0,-($r/12.0)+1.0);$Z= cplx(0,0);for($i=0;($i<80)&&(abs($Z)<2.0);$i++){$Z =$Z*$Z+$C;}print$i>=80?"*":" ";}print"\n";}'

As some have mentioned, dual booting is one option available to you. You'll get to keep Windows and use Linux. But for personal reasons, I just don't like dual booting. Been there, done that.

Personally, the better option is to get a separate machine. If the learning curve is to be kept as shallow as possible, leave dual booting out of the equation. If you don't have or can't get a second PC look into mobile HD caddies. This device will allow you to use the same PC. One can swap HDs easily without tearing into the machine. In my opinion, the best of both worlds.

Anyway, to get back to Linux, get a distro that will insure ease and success of installation. And that is certainly very possible. Years ago, one HAD to know the CLI (Command Line Interface) and use geeky Unix type commands to get something tweaked. While it's still available for us geekiods, its not absolutely necessary to use it. Linux has come a long ways to make things easier.

All I can say is jump in. The water's fine.
    Thanks,
    Loopback48

Debian fanboy. And only Debian.

http://www.debiantutorials.org/

It can't be stressed enough that Linux is not Windows and any attempt to make Linux Windows will be painful and most likely fail. For games wine and cedega will run a lot of them but it's very hit/miss and comes with a performance hit. There are hundreds of games the run native on Linux and Icculus has a well maintained searchable list that can help you find some, both free and commercial games. http://www.icculus.org/lgfaq/gamelist.php

Use the forums when you are looking for something or get stuck, the search feature is priceless

Another option (if you have the power on the host machine) is to run Linux in a Virtual Machine. There's been a lot of buzz about virtualization lately so support is likely to be good.

It won't be easy, but until you get to grips with the basics, you can always flatten and re-setup a Linux machine fairly swiftly (and you will learn in the process). You will also retain the benefit of having a machine that you are at least used to by running Windows and can close down the Linux setup when you don't need it.

James
    UseLinux.net

perl -e 'use Math::Complex;$|=1;for$r(0..24){for$c (0..79){$C=cplx(($c/20.0)-3.0,-($r/12.0)+1.0);$Z= cplx(0,0);for($i=0;($i<80)&&(abs($Z)<2.0);$i++){$Z =$Z*$Z+$C;}print$i>=80?"*":" ";}print"\n";}'