have you guys noticed

Thread: have you guys noticed

have you guys noticed

have you guys noticed that you get bored sometimes with linux?

i haven't posted anything in a while and it's because of my job. linux was always a fun hobby for me. (i LOVED playing around with the xwindow managers to get those ultra cool looks). but then i turned it into my job.

don't get me wrong; i love my job. (and i sure am a lucky guy to have it). but sometimes, when i get home, i just don't want to touch it anymore.

then i get a little sad that this might not be my hobby anymore

... but i dunno because my heart skips a beat when i happen to notice the monthly screenshot threads when i DO visit this board.

btw, thanks for the fleeting moments of excitement i get from those threads. that's really cool of you guys.
    BEHOLD!!! MY AWESOME HUMILITY!
    Ex Linux, Scientia

i use:
    centos 5.2 on 3.0 GHz Pentium 4 (filer/print server)
    ubuntu 8.10 on 1.6 GHz Celeron M (personal laptop)

Don't have this problem yet.

I have just upgraded my PC to a Intel i7 CPU and switched the wife machine to a Phenom 9950. There are loads of thing to sort out yet!

One funny thing I found in the Gigabyte X58 UD5 mobo with the Intel i7 CPU is that Vista can't fire up the two onboard nic but Linux can. The board rejected Windows Xp completely. Little distro like Slax and Puppy fire up all the cylinders of the new i7 CPU, the mobo with X58 chipset and 3-channel memory.

Modern Linux seems to cope very well with the new hardware.
    Last edited by saikee; 12-08-2008 at 08:18 AM.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

I thought that it was just me. I have to admit, my work is rather dull at the moment, just reviewing documents. I too love linux and I love to learn all I can, but I have found that I have hit a weird problem - sometimes, when I hit an area that I am trying to learn, I find that I really could do with someone far better than me to be nearby so that I can point at the screen and say "why is this behaving this way?" Don't get me wrong, there is a large amount of fabulous information on the net, in JustLinux and in books, but I find that I get to the point where I just "can't be arsed" and would rather turn the pc off and play a game with my PS2!
    Perhaps I am just getting old and lazy

lol same here, the only real excitement I get from linux nowadays is the one-per-month ATI driver. And even that hasn't been very exciting lately. I blame it on working other ppl's borked windows boxes. I used to think the best thing about linux was when something didn't work, a chance learn something new. Now, I just get ticked off and almost start throwing things around, cursing at distro devs for not making it just work.

Kubuntu 8.10
    Asus M2N-VM DVI
    ATI Radeon 3850

Maybe it's age. But I've gotten into that rut. For the last year or so, I've not done much in my Linux (Debian/Lenny) OS. It's tweaked out the way I want and so why bother?

Years ago I'd be installing and messing around with anything new. Now? Now I'm content. Yes, that's it - I'm content.
    Thanks,
    Loopback48

Debian fanboy. And only Debian.

http://www.debiantutorials.org/

I've been in this rut a few times. At least for me, I find its a matter of finding something new to challenge yourself with to reignite the fire.

For example, about a year ago was the tail end of such a rut. I had my firewall and servers working fine. They all had uptimes since Katrina and with all the computer work I did for work, I usually went home with little motivation to even get online past the downloading of one or two anime fansubs I was following.

Then I came across a PVR card and decided to try installing a MythTV system on my Debian file storage server. I had a bunch of questions, which lead me back to the board and I was doing something new which peaked my interest in Linux again. I'm still riding that a year later, even though it is no where near as strong as then. If nothing else it got me back here - I wasn't posting anymore a year ago~
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

Yep. I miss (sort of) the good old days when you had to hack for days to get a working Linux system online. Now you plop in a CD, answer a few questions, reboot and then download updates. Poof, a perfectly working system - usually. Heck, it is just like XP, except that it stays working over time.

Now I spend most of my time on the computer with programming and that is it. I see where Debian Lenny is almost out, but I have a machine with Etch that is totally reliable and is setup exactly the way I want, so why change?

It kind of mirrors the advances in the hardware. Back in the early days you couldn't wait to get a machine with the latest CPU. It was always far faster. No price was too high for speed. Now, you can change your current 2 or 3 ghz job for the latest multi core screamer and yawn as you explore it. Sure it is faster, but you can only tell if you run some benchmark that can split up microseconds.

Being a pioneer is always more interesting (if probably more painful) than being a settled citizen.

Konan

Quote Originally Posted by Konan
    Yep. I miss (sort of) the good old days when you had to hack for days to get a working Linux system online. Now you plop in a CD, answer a few questions, reboot and then download updates. Poof, a perfectly working system - usually. Heck, it is just like XP, except that it stays working over time.

Now I spend most of my time on the computer with programming and that is it. I see where Debian Lenny is almost out, but I have a machine with Etch that is totally reliable and is setup exactly the way I want, so why change?

It kind of mirrors the advances in the hardware. Back in the early days you couldn't wait to get a machine with the latest CPU. It was always far faster. No price was too high for speed. Now, you can change your current 2 or 3 ghz job for the latest multi core screamer and yawn as you explore it. Sure it is faster, but you can only tell if you run some benchmark that can split up microseconds.

Being a pioneer is always more interesting (if probably more painful) than being a settled citizen.

Konan

Yes, as stated Etch is very solid . So is Lenny. Been using Lenny for over a year and a half. Still, the fact that I don't have to update/upgrade every 6 mos is what keeps me in the Debian proper camp. Folks, I just got plain tired of doing this every so often and having problems to fix.

No more getting the latest (file in the blanks). Not for me. I want an OS I can USE. One that will be with me and viable for two or three years. And why not? Why not have an OS or distro that can be useful that long?

Maybe I'm tired of being on the bleeding edge. Yes, thats it. I've finally realized I don't have the desire to be there anymore.

I want to use my OS. Not mess with it. I'll set it up, tweak it and leave it the hell alone! Give me Debian. It works for me.
    Thanks,
    Loopback48

loopback48

Yes, as stated Etch is very solid . So is Lenny. Been using Lenny for over a year and a half. Still, the fact that I don't have to update/upgrade every 6 mos is what keeps me in the Debian proper camp. Folks, I just got plain tired of doing this every so often and having problems to fix.

No more getting the latest (file in the blanks). Not for me. I want an OS I can USE. One that will be with me and viable for two or three years. And why not? Why not have an OS or distro that can be useful that long?

Maybe I'm tired of being on the bleeding edge. Yes, thats it. I've finally realized I don't have the desire to be there anymore.

I want to use my OS. Not mess with it. I'll set it up, tweak it and leave it the hell alone! Give me Debian. It works for me.
    I couldn't have said it better, I do like to try different distro's but I have a system set aside just for that. But when it comes to a upgrade every 6 month no thanks, I like stability.

Quote Originally Posted by mrrangerman43
    I couldn't have said it better, I do like to try different distro's but I have a system set aside just for that. But when it comes to a upgrade every 6 month no thanks, I like stability.
    Well, I too have other machines I can and do play around with. I see the latest... and I load the ISO and installed. But I'll be damn if I get much further than that. Fedora 10 looks nice. And so does the latest Open Suse. I'd like to play around with .... But when it comes to tweaking it up to snuff, I lose interest. Ho hum. I guess I'm getting old. Maybe content is a better word. Content with my distro of choice - Debian.

I know about Debian and what to do to MY beloved OS. But I now find I have very little interest in learning about others.

Same can be said for Windows geeks. They know what they're doing and they don't want to learn about Linux. Can't say I blame them. Feel the same about Debian. That's my baby!
    Thanks,
    Loopback48

I've been doing a lot less tweaking of my Linux installs lately, but that's because I'm happy with where everything is now. Sure, I could mess with my WM environment some more, but there's a point where I just have to stop that or I'll spend all of my time on it.

That having been said, I've been using Linux just as much as ever. I'm just using it as a regular OS rather than a project unto itself.

On the plus side, I should be getting a new work laptop in March and if I have anything to say about it, it will be running Linux. That will require some serious tweaking because I spend more time on my work machine than my home machines now (which makes me sad and wish they would let me build my own since my home hardware is a lot nicer).

I don't know about you guys but one thing that put many users off is the frequent changes of hardware and software.

Since when we changed from single core to dual core? then quad core and now i7? What about 32 bits and 64 bits? Distros also shipped for AMD and normal ix86 CPU?

The updates of Linux are going faster than the users can cope. No sooner you get everything sorted and under control then the latest round of updates could blow everything out of the water by stopping some hardware from working again.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

It's the price we gotta pay: quality is boring. We started with linux for the challange...
    So: did you try all the BSD's out there? Yeah? then it is time for OpenSolaris for you!
    It's a known "problem" with OS/2. It runs continuously until the underlying hardware crumbles under you hands....

the irony of quality

Yeah I kind of fell into this rut for a little while too. I've got to agree with Trilarian though, you just need to find new challenges. I use Linux mostly at work, but at home I'm now going to try using my capture card to convert some VHS tapes to DVD using Linux. So it's about challenging yourself and finding some new use for Linux.
    "After all you've seen, after all the evidence, why can't you believe?"

IBM Thinkpad T21
    750 Mhz P3, 128 MB PC100 RAM, CD-ROM, 10 GB IDE HDD
    Ubuntu 9.04 Minimal