Snow!!!


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Snow!!!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    New Orleans, LA USA
    Posts
    986

    Snow!!!

    Heh, sorry, but I live in New Orleans... it never snows! Just yesterday it was in the 80s and I had the A/C on...

    Then I woke up to this (yea, yea only 2")!



    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

    -Mark Twain

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    986
    Nice, you have to love those drastic swings in weather! Does that happen often down there (change from hot to cold in the span of an evening)? In Ohio that's quite frequent.
    "After all you've seen, after all the evidence, why can't you believe?"

    IBM Thinkpad T21
    750 Mhz P3, 128 MB PC100 RAM, CD-ROM, 10 GB IDE HDD
    Ubuntu 9.04 Minimal

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    New Orleans, LA USA
    Posts
    986
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMan8081
    Does that happen often down there (change from hot to cold in the span of an evening)? In Ohio that's quite frequent.
    All the time...

    I don't get sick from the cold. I get sick from going to work in a short sleeve, and then freezing when I go to lunch as my jacket is at the house. I wish it would pick a season.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

    -Mark Twain

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    2,610
    Hey, I live in San Antonio and we had snow that accumulated to about 1/2 and inch! This is about the second time in 8 years. Like your dog, my dogs were puzzled by the white stuff. It was funny watching them walk through it gingerly.

    hlrguy

    Oh Yeah, this is relevant to Linux because I use Linux and therefore they are Linux dogs.
    Were you a Windows expert the VERY first time you looked at a computer with Windows, or did it take a little time.....
    My Linux Blog
    Linux Native Replacements for Windows Programs
    Mandriva One on a "Vista Home Barely" T3640 E-Machine runs great.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    New Orleans, LA USA
    Posts
    986
    Quote Originally Posted by hlrguy
    Oh Yeah, this is relevant to Linux because I use Linux and therefore they are Linux dogs.


    I did put it in /dev/random at least

    EDIT => Yea, up and down... Yesterday I was high 20s with snow, today its all melted and mid 60s... go figure.
    Last edited by trilarian; 12-12-2008 at 12:15 PM.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

    -Mark Twain

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Caldwell,NJ
    Posts
    53
    just a test

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    505
    When I was in MA weather shifts like that happened all the time...'If you don't like the weather in New England, wait five minutes'

    I'm in San Diego now...Beautiful weather, all the time!

    edit--

    Oh, by the way, that's an awesome german sheppard
    Join the JustLinux irc chat | irc.freenode.net | #linuxn00b
    San Diego Web Development | Used Computers for Sale

    Slackware Linux | Gentoo Linux | Debian GNU/Linux
    Registerd Linux User #313504

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Posts
    287
    wierd.

    i just moved to new york and we haven't seen so much as a snowflake.

    but the weather really is flakey over here. it makes me yearn for the predictability of arizona.

    not to mention the warmth because it's ****ING cold over here!!!!!
    BEHOLD!!! MY AWESOME HUMILITY!
    Ex Linux, Scientia

    i use:
    centos 5.2 on 3.0 GHz Pentium 4 (filer/print server)
    ubuntu 8.10 on 1.6 GHz Celeron M (personal laptop)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by Davy
    wierd.

    i just moved to new york and we haven't seen so much as a snowflake.

    but the weather really is flakey over here. it makes me yearn for the predictability of arizona.

    not to mention the warmth because it's ****ING cold over here!!!!!
    Odd that you say that, my home town back in MA got hit with a killer ice storm over the weekend, and may not get power back for a couple weeks (glad I got out before winter hit!)

    Also I think it's amusing that while you yearn for the predictability of out here (SD is pretty dependable...bit rainy over the last couple days, but in the 4 months Ive been here Ive only seen it rain a couple times, most days are bright and sunny)...Meanwhile I miss the unpredictability of new england...Every day was something different, and you had to be prepared for just about anything

    Where in NY are you to have not gotten any snow? I know northern NY around buffalo tends to get a dozen feet a year or so, because of the great lakes.
    Join the JustLinux irc chat | irc.freenode.net | #linuxn00b
    San Diego Web Development | Used Computers for Sale

    Slackware Linux | Gentoo Linux | Debian GNU/Linux
    Registerd Linux User #313504

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    New Orleans, LA USA
    Posts
    986
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkbolt
    When I was in MA weather shifts like that happened all the time...'If you don't like the weather in New England, wait five minutes'
    Same deal here, I am sweating in short sleeves today...

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkbolt
    I'm in San Diego now...Beautiful weather, all the time!
    Nice. I'm planning to move out of New Orleans by summer (June-ish). I felt the need to stay after Katrina since this is my home, but after Gustav, many friends leaving, highest murder/crime rate per capita in the nation, and the general lack of decent tech jobs - I've had enough.

    I'm thinking either coast: Portland, OR; or New York area. I've been to both in the last year looking around and feel kind of partial to west coast. I really enjoyed having a big city to live in, but be within an hour from the coast, Mount Hood, waterfalls, etc. Either one will have a much cooler climate which I'm looking forward too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkbolt
    Oh, by the way, that's an awesome german sheppard
    Thanks. Technically, that is my girlfriend's shepherd, but she is such a great dog I do tend to act like she is mine.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

    -Mark Twain

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    876
    trilarian

    Then I woke up to this (yea, yea only 2")!

    Well this sounds like a classic case of global warming.

    Here in MI two day's ago we had 6" - 8" on the ground, yesterday the temp started to climb, got up this morning and it was 48 dig. by noon it was 19.

    trilarian
    I don't get sick from the cold. I get sick from going to work in a short sleeve, and then freezing when I go to lunch as my jacket is at the house. I wish it would pick a season.
    Well that's actually not true, you get sick because you got a virus or germ from someone else. Now getting cold can weaken the defenses some so the germ can take root easier but it's still the germ that makes you sick.

    Anyway congrats on getting the white stuff, Oh to have been a wrecker driver!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    684
    Nice. I'm planning to move out of New Orleans by summer (June-ish). I felt the need to stay after Katrina since this is my home, but after Gustav, many friends leaving, highest murder/crime rate per capita in the nation, and the general lack of decent tech jobs - I've had enough.
    I can't say much about the hurricanes or crime rate...that's just how it goes, particularly after such large natural disasters. My wife's family members live in New Orleans (ok, some of them live in Slidell) and I am still amazed when we visit how damaged certain parts of the city are...more than 3 years later!

    However, the lack of tech jobs is unfortunately a side effect of the slow economy. The job market is pretty tight right now so good luck with that. I hear Portland is beautiful and I have always wanted to visit there. If you don't mind the heat Austin, TX has lots of tech companies and is also an awesome city. Oh yeah...that's why I'm moving back there in about 6 months!
    "The author of that poem is either Homer or, if not Homer, somebody else of the same name."

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Fife, Scotland
    Posts
    1,794
    Originally posted by mrrangerman43:
    Well that's actually not true, you get sick because you got a virus or germ from someone else. Now getting cold can weaken the defenses some so the germ can take root easier but it's still the germ that makes you sick.
    I once took off on a plane from Florida in the height of summer (read: hot, BLOODY hot!) but stepped off at Heathrow where it was a standard (cool) British summer and it really made me feel ill. I may be good, but even I cannot contract an illness in just 8 hours. It took me AGES to acclimatise to the UK weather again because of the trip. I still suffer now because I work abroad all over the world and have to come and go from massive changes in temperatures at short notice.

    Anyway, I take it none of you guys have visited the Falkland Islands. These Islands are known as the "Four-Seasons Islands" for a VERY good reason. Some days, you can wear shorts and T-shirt but with absolutely no notice whatsoever, it can rain, hail, sleet and snow. This is all within a day.

    It is impressive that it snowed in New Orleans (great memories of that place in the pre-Katrina days).

    However, I've seen and done many things, but I think few are as impressive as the photos I have of an iceberg in the South Atlantic (which I will send on PM request, if required - purely to avoid flooding low bandwidth users). This particular iceberg, taken from a ship I served in a year ago was measured on radar.

    It was FIVE MILES LONG.

    We reckoned that despite being made of ice you could probably have landed a 747 on it, stopped it, turned it around and taken off again (you have to see the photo to believe it).

    For some strange reason, HMS Southampton decided to shoot it with her 4.5" gun (no photos of that).

    Clearly global warming is "selective" in that the poles are warming but New Orleans is bloody freezing!

    James
    -----------------------------
    UseLinux.net
    -----------------------------

    perl -e 'use Math::Complex;$|=1;for$r(0..24){for$c (0..79){$C=cplx(($c/20.0)-3.0,-($r/12.0)+1.0);$Z= cplx(0,0);for($i=0;($i<80)&&(abs($Z)<2.0);$i++){$Z =$Z*$Z+$C;}print$i>=80?"*":" ";}print"\n";}'

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    New Orleans, LA USA
    Posts
    986
    Quote Originally Posted by gamblor01
    I can't say much about the hurricanes or crime rate...that's just how it goes, particularly after such large natural disasters.
    We have always had high crime rates. Katrina actually helped it for a short while - thanks Houston! Though as people returned, we shot right back up to the top 5 in the world! It is a sad circle of events really. Usually a mother living in the housing projects will have many kids to up her welfare allowance for the month, but not spend it on the kids. So the kids turn to crime as their form of income since there is zero guidance from home. Those kids, who don't end up dead or in jail, eventually go full circle and become like their parents - having kids to up their check. There are a few that are enlightened somehow and get out of that loop, but the ratio is not inspiring. I really respect anyone who works with that community to push education and discipline.

    Quote Originally Posted by gamblor01
    My wife's family members live in New Orleans (ok, some of them live in Slidell) and I am still amazed when we visit how damaged certain parts of the city are...more than 3 years later!
    Yes, there are entire sections that have not been touched at all. You can thank the politicians for that. We got a lot of government money as disaster relief. Unfortunately, that money lined the pockets of politicians and when the federal government wanted a report of where the money went - we lost any additional funding.

    Quote Originally Posted by gamblor01
    However, the lack of tech jobs is unfortunately a side effect of the slow economy. The job market is pretty tight right now so good luck with that. I hear Portland is beautiful and I have always wanted to visit there. If you don't mind the heat Austin, TX has lots of tech companies and is also an awesome city. Oh yeah...that's why I'm moving back there in about 6 months!
    NOLA has never been a technology capital - even when the economy was thriving. It is based more in tourism, gulf oil rigs, and the Port of New Orleans. The economy definitely doesn't help things. Many of my high school friends went to Texas, Memphis, or Atlanta for tech jobs. I didn't really like either of the three - so will jump a little further. I've been wanting to move for a long time now. I've just had things to take care of first. Now I'm in the clear I am using a 6 month guideline as the time to save enough to live jobless for awhile if the need arises~
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

    -Mark Twain

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    113
    I don't know about Portland's weather, but I know Seattle's is similar to ours here in Vancouver. During the winter, and on occasion even the summer, it can be cloudy and gloomy for weeks on end. Lots of rain, not a lot of snow. And not enough sun.
    That said, we are now in the middle of an extended and unusual cold spell of about 10 days of just below freezing weather. We had our first snow, just a couple of inches, last night.

    Portland's civilized; it has a decent road race track. Used to have a Champ Car race and an ALMS race, though I think it lost both recently. It's been in the news up here for its innovative programs for dealing with the homeless.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •