Shopping for Wireless router

Thread: Shopping for Wireless router

Shopping for Wireless router

My wireless router stopped workin on New Year's of all days. The wired connection still works (which I'm using to post this) but the wireless network is gone, despite several reboots and some reconfigurations. Since my router is almost 4 years old, I figure it's bitten the dust. It's a Linksys wireless G WRT54GL.

My iMac is hooked up to my wireless network, as well as two gaming consoles and an iPod touch.

My first instinct is to get a Linksys wireless N router, but I've heard that Linksys is having quality control problems lately.

Does anybody have a recommendation?

Obviously, cross-platform compatibility is important. I have a Mac and a Linux box, so a good robust web interface like my current Linksys router is a must.
    So many cool OS's to play with (Linux, Mac, OpenSolaris, FreeBSD) and so little time

I have not seen any router that can't simply be configured by any computer using a web browser at the standard 192.68.0.1 (or whatever slight variation thereof). Before investing, try a hard reset (hold the reset button 30 seconds to put it back at factory defaults). I restored on apparently "dead" linksys router this way. 3 months, no problem again.

hlrguy
    Were you a Windows expert the VERY first time you looked at a computer with Windows, or did it take a little time.....
    My Linux Blog
    Linux Native Replacements for Windows Programs
    Mandriva One on a "Vista Home Barely" T3640 E-Machine runs great.

Quote Originally Posted by hlrguy
    Before investing, try a hard reset (hold the reset button for 30 seconds to put it back at factory defaults.)
    hlrguy's right. You'd probably want to do a hard-reset before getting yourself a new router.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaCowboy
    Since my router is almost 4 years old... It's a Linksys Wireless-G WRT54GL.
    You're probably out of warranty anyway, so why not give third-party firmware a try? You might be surprised by the results. In fact, the Linksys WRT54G-series is the most supported in terms of third-party firmware.

A complete list of compatible firmware can be found here. Some of the more popular fimware for Linksys routers include (many non-Linksys routers are supported as well):

DD-WRT (highly recommended), FreeWRT, OpenWRT, HyperWRT + Tofu, and Tomato

Third-party firmware is usually Linux-based, and can greatly enhance the capabilities of a stock router. If you're really after a new router, I'd suggest you go for one that's well-supported by alternative firmware (...you might want to check out the online HCLs/Wikis/"Which router should I buy?" pages of the aforementioned firmware for specific suggestions. As I've already mentioned, many non-Linksys routers are supported as well.)

Personally, I think I'd go for this. (USP: It's got a 100-user MiniRADIUS server built-in.)
    Last edited by i845_; 01-02-2009 at 03:01 AM.

I just picked up on of these to replace my Linksys WRT54G that basicly did the same thing as your. But with mine the wireless signal got weaker and weaker untill it faded away.

So far I like it better then the Linksys. Here

Hard reset worked

I tried installing 3rd party firmware on it, and one of the steps was to reset the router to factory settings. Before doing anything else, I decided to try the wireless connection again.

Not only does it work, but it's *way* faster than it was before.

And I was going to plunk down $70-80 for a new router. Silly me!
    So many cool OS's to play with (Linux, Mac, OpenSolaris, FreeBSD) and so little time

I have a WRT54GS v4, and was perfectly happy with the default firmware, then I decided to install DD-WRT, and I was shocked as to how fast the router was.

Before if I was downloading a linux torrent, I would not be able to do much more on the connection, but after installing DD-WRT, I was able to download the same torrent, and go on a skype call at the same time.

The web interface is much better as well. You get a daily log of how much you have downloaded, and it is all kept in the nvram, so it is kept even if you reboot(not the current day tho)

DD-WRT cannot be recomended enough, even it your router is working again.
    DOS - Denial Of Service

Linux user 315438

Hey, so I will take credit as being right. WooHoo. Anyway, however, it came back to life, glad it did.

hlrguy
    Were you a Windows expert the VERY first time you looked at a computer with Windows, or did it take a little time.....
    My Linux Blog
    Linux Native Replacements for Windows Programs
    Mandriva One on a "Vista Home Barely" T3640 E-Machine runs great.