looking for a (all in one memory card reader)

Thread: looking for a (all in one memory card reader)

looking for a (all in one memory card reader)

Hi,
    I am looking for a (all in one memory card reader) that fits in the frontal access for the floppy.
    I have an no brand one installed but it is not supported in Linux ( i tried everything).
    I paid $9.99 for it so its not a big lost.
    Any suggestion ?

Linux Counter

Debian "Lenny"
    Mandriva 2010.2

"Where am I?" "In the Village." "What do you want?" "Information.""Whose side are you on?" "That would be telling.... We want information. Information! INFORMATION!"

Anything that connects via USB will work. From my experience anyway.

Kubuntu 8.10
    Asus M2N-VM DVI
    ATI Radeon 3850

Quote Originally Posted by con
    Anything that connects via USB will work. From my experience anyway.
    +1.

You could take a look at this.

I have a couple of this model. They work great in my Linux boxes.

Cables Unlimited USB 2.0 Internal Card Reader

I purchased mine from the local PC shop.

Good Luck,

I have a card reader that I bought a few years ago for my desktop from a company called Atech. I forget the exact model name, but can look it up and report back. It fits in the external 3.5" bay and hooks up to the motherboards internal USB ports. It works great in Linux. It is an 11 in 1 reader and I have tried SD, xD and smart media in it and they all work great. I bought it from Newegg a few years back.
    My Systems:
    Custom Desktop: Kubuntu 8.04.1 x86 + 2.6.24 kernel
    Thinkpad T61p: Debian SID x64 + 2.6.26 kernel

I have one that worked great for a month then some odd update (kernel, udev, no idea) broke it and only the standard USB slot works for me now. I've spent months beating on this with kernel options and udev settings. Once kernel update even caused it to freak out and spam the dmesg with "new USB device found" about 5 per second...

I know the big trick with these is to have the kernel configured for MMC/SD card support. My biggest problem is my stubbornness to use Gentoo to make things as difficult as possible on myself

Thanks all for your reply.
    I took note of 2 models that you say works nice and i am looking for a deal now.

Linux Counter

Debian "Lenny"
    Mandriva 2010.2

"Where am I?" "In the Village." "What do you want?" "Information.""Whose side are you on?" "That would be telling.... We want information. Information! INFORMATION!"

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
    I have one that worked great for a month then some odd update (kernel, udev, no idea) broke it and only the standard USB slot works for me now.
    That sounds suspiciously like the "probe all LUNs on each SCSI device" kernel option to me. When I had that off, multi-card readers over USB would refuse to work for any slot except the one that the reader had decided was the first. (Because the kernel was only probing for the first LUN, and each slot was a different LUN according to the SCSI addressing.)

If that option is off in your kernel, turn it back on (CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN) and see if it helps.

Yup, that is on with my current kernel...I didn't check with the one the Gentoo LiveCD but that one did the excessive polling also.