Disk Config for Dual Boot?

Thread: Disk Config for Dual Boot?

Question Disk Config for Dual Boot?

I am building a new PC from scratch and want to dual boot XP and Ubuntu. I have two 1TB drives. I was planning to run RAID 1, whereby one drive would mirror the other drive, and install XP, Ubuntu, and all data on the single drive. Now I’m thinking maybe I should reserve the 1TB drive for data and install two smaller drives, one to hold XP and one to hold Ubuntu and their respective programs. In this latter config, the OS and programs would not be mirrored. I’m new to dual booting and linux. I was hoping someone could give me some advice on the best way to configure everything.

Thanks in advance.

wlaxdad

Welcome to Justlinux!

Just install Xp first and Ubuntu second. Things will happen automatically because Linux supports other systems and the installer will automatically arrange it. It only stops doing the dual boot if you point a gun at his head.

MS systems do not support others OSes so its installer will ignore Linux but you can instruct it to boot Linux if it has been installed first. It is just a small bit of extra work.

Booting is one of the easiest things in Linux which has been design to coexist with any PC system.
    Last edited by saikee; 02-16-2009 at 10:02 AM.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"