Applying for change of username.

Thread: Applying for change of username.

Applying for change of username.

Is there some way I could change my username to "blackbox_jones" without losing my six year posting history, which I am rather proud of? I'm hoping to start blogging and maybe publishing some helpful tips for beginners and so on, I'd like to use the pseudonym, but the name "Blackbelt Jones" may be someone else's intellectual property. You can't copyright a title, but you may be able claim copyright for the name of a character. So I'm planning to make a little adjustment, and I'd like to use that here if I may. I think I prefer it, actually, it actually denotes FOSS stuff. Please send me a private message, somebody, about whether this can be done and how. Thanks, blackbox_jones

I had my justlinux username changed from bs_2003 to bs_texas. Just send a private message to bproffitt. As I recall, there was no loss of posting history.
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

I thought I made a mistake once, but, of course, I was mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by bs_texas View Post
    I had my justlinux username changed from bs_2003 to bs_texas. Just send a private message to bproffitt. As I recall, there was no loss of posting history.
    Clearly not. I see you and I arrived the same month.

Originally, my username was spiderbaby1958. I changed my handle to commemorate the first time I got online with Linux.

CLearly not, not.

Re: change userid for JL ?

It's very easy, and it will change all of your existing posts' ID to bs_texas.

In fact, it also changes your login to the new ID as well, which is why I am giving you fair notice that I will make the change tomorrow morning so you will know to log in with the new ID.

Peace,
    Brian

Quote:
    bs_2003 wrote on 04-24-2005 07:17 PM:

Hello Brian,

What's the possibility of changing my userid at JustLinux from bs_2003 to bs_texas? I never really like throwing that 2003 on there.

If it's easily doable and will propagate through all my current 'stuff' on JL, then I'd like to do it.

If it's a big, tedious pain, then nevermind. It's not that important.

Thanks
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are asking for.
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

No. I'm just agreeing that there was no loss of posting history for you, because I can see your posting history right there in your post-- and it says that you started posting in October 2002, just like me. And thanks for the tip.

Oh...

I misread. It was around 4:30 AM when I replied.
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

Well, I think it may have been around 4:00 am here in New York when I posted, and I may not have been crystal clear.

Actually, bproffitt no longer works for Jupiter, and he hasn't been very active on these forums for a couple of years now anyway. The guy you would need to talk to now is JPnyc.

I thought you asked this a year or so ago when you wanted to change to Debian-Jones...what was the answer then?
    Slackware current (Dell Latitude D610)
    CentOS 5.2 (Servers)
    Registered Linux User # 375030

our policy has always been to change usernames only with brand-new users, and only when they've put their real name or e-mail address as username by mistake. Otherwise, it gets confusing with long-time users who change their names, because you don't know who you're talking to anymore, and in addition with 2.5 million users across the 29 forums we run, I could never keep up with all the requests.

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc View Post
    Otherwise, it gets confusing with long-time users who change their names, because you don't know who you're talking to anymore
    *cough*mahdi*cough*

Oh hi, Icarus!

Who changed his username? I know I didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by psych-major View Post
    I thought you asked this a year or so ago when you wanted to change to Debian-Jones...what was the answer then?
    I think that was more like three or four years ago, and I never requested the name change. I just started a new account. Someone else suggested that I might want to request a name change, but I never did. And a good thing, because I started using SUSE not long afterward. Incidentally, I'm back to using Debian again, since Kubuntu dropped KDE3. I'm now running the brand new stable Debian, and it looks like another classic.

I dunno, if I ever actually start blogging like I've been planning on doing for months, I'll make a request then, or maybe I won't. I don't want to go around changing every account that's named blackbelt_jones, do maybe I'll just forget about it.

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc View Post
    Who changed his username? I know I didn't.
    It was a few years ago not too long after I joined so I assume it was Brian.

And blackbelt_jones, always choose your username carefully. You tend to be stuck with them for a long time. I was listening to a talk by Ryan Gordon (of icculus.org fame) and he said that Icculus was an on-the-spot decision when he joined a new company because they wouldn't let him use something like rgordon. Like it or not, he's been Icculus ever since.