updating software kde opensuse error

Thread: updating software kde opensuse error

updating software kde opensuse error

Well I clicked on the icon for updating available software, then I received this error message ... how do I remove the problem and get past this

Refresh failed: . Error: refusing file '/var/cache/zypp/raw/http:__download.opensuse.org_repositories_KDE:_KDE 4:_Factory:_Desktop_openSUSE_11.0_LS7Mhs/repodata/primary.xml.gz': wrong digest Error: Could not refresh repository 'openSUSE BuildService - KDE4:Factoryesktop': Valid metadata not found at specified URL(s) History: - Wrong checksum for primary.xml.gz

system is opensuse 11.0 , toshiba laptop, dual boot w/ vista
    Last edited by ejtux9194; 03-11-2009 at 02:22 PM.

Fixed

Some how it healed itself ... after a few hours of waiting I tired it again and it worked just fine ...

If you still want to know what was going on, I suspect the "wrong digest" and "wrong checksum" parts of that error to be the most relevant. Any decent updating tool should be checking whether the lists of updates that it downloads, as well as the update files themselves, are actually correct. This is partly to prevent accidental corruption in the download process (that would otherwise lead to really odd behavior), but it's also to prevent some random attacker from injecting their own (untrusted) code into the update process.

Assuming a decent updating tool, this is done with cryptographic checksums and hashes; the tool knows a master key, then gets a list of hashes from a server (and checks that the list is signed with the master key). Then it checks the hashes of the other files it's downloading against that list. If any of them don't match, it rejects the download as either corrupted or hijacked.