about to give up on linux - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: about to give up on linux

update

Sorry I havent gotten back with you, well I tried ubuntu, something about it I didnt like, couldnt put my finger on it, I tried a couple other distro's linux mint and sabayon, now, I have to say I love sabayon, it woo'd me from the get go, altho I am having to learn off of it more than ever, becuase it is based of gentoo and is not a debain distro, but it is AWSOME! ati catalyst fully functional, it has xine, mplayer and all the media applications a guy would ever want to have, and it recognised my wifi from the start, no issues with it what so ever, altho, nothing is perfect, Im sure I will find something, but this distro is kick a$s!

but, learning it is a bit confusing, how to install from a tar.gz, yah...gonna be fun

thank you to everyone who put in there 2cents!

I'm glad to see you sorted out.

And yes, Sabayon does kick some serious a**! My mom uses it on her notebook.

Quote Originally Posted by kiel
    ...how to install from a tar.gz...
    You don't have to. Use Overlays, Portage or Entropy.

Here's the tutorials page for all things Gentoo (you might find something of use here, especially in the section on Package Management.)

Good luck on your adventures with Linux. If you need help, we'll be standing by.

Cheers!
    Last edited by i845_; 04-17-2009 at 11:15 AM.

so far the distro is great, everything works fine, but the spritz package manager isnt working so I may have to learn to to install things manually.

thanks for all the support

kiel

I didn't read the whole thread, but what I'd do is try a lot of live CDs, and/or lug my computer to a LUG meeting to ask for help.

i845_ -- would you mind shrinking that image? Say, cut off the right half, or something like that? I tried to stuff it into a code tag pair (so the board would put it into a scrollable area of its own), but it wouldn't show enough of the image to make it worthwhile.

As it is, your image is about twice the width of my browser window; it's making it really hard to read the rest of this thread (having to scroll sideways for almost every line is a huge PITA). For anyone that runs a browser narrower than I do, it's going to be even worse.

Thanks.

eh

wierd, all I see is the panda head.

he's talking about the screen shot on the previous page.

;-)

@bwkaz

Oops! (I'm wondering what I had been smoking when I posted that...)

The image has now been fixed. My apologies to all who had to suffer the inconvenience.
    Last edited by i845_; 04-19-2009 at 02:25 AM.

Thanks a ton!

(I should also move this thread, now that I look at where it got posted. Looks like it's mostly finished, but oh well. Moving it anyway. )

haha glad I read the post that he resized, was gonna ask what yall been smokin... oh and I found "equo" it a nice little term install no gui, love it, linux is looking better daily, bill gates, looking rather overrated. I did hose my flux.conf file and now im screwed, cant get it back to functional, hope to restore it by finding the real conf on the web or find someone who hasnt messed with there's

kiel

fluxbox wiki, irc help, example .xdefaults configuration

http://fluxbox-wiki.org/index.php?title=Fluxbox-wiki

irc://irc.freenode.net/fluxbox

help links from official site:

http://www.fluxbox.org/help/

example of xdefaults setup:

http://fluxbox-wiki.org/index.php?title=Xdefaults_setup

possibly boot from live CD that uses fluxbox, copy configuation files?

http://fluxbox-wiki.org/index.php?title=InTheWild
    Last edited by ehawk; 04-21-2009 at 04:18 AM.

looked on the live cd of sabayon, couldn't locate the file, im at a loss atm, the file that got hosed was the menu.

Talking Problems solved

Problems solved, lovin linux

tyvm to all the help!
    pm for rent space

I've seen instances where wireless drivers had to be loaded manually, because the mobo address for the wireless card was a USB address, rather than a PCI address.