about to give up on linux

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: about to give up on linux

about to give up on linux

ISSUE RESOLVED/PROBLEM FIXED!!!!!!

ok, I have two issues.

1. linux does not recognize my onboard Intel Pro 100 VE.
    Being intel, one would think that it would find it with no issues, and in 3 months im going to be on a wired network so it wouldnt be a huge issue, but it wont even locate my nic, this is a first....

2. I have a linux supported wireless card EdiMax.
    I have tried and tried with this but the drivers fail or im not savy enough to make it work

my video is a ATI 9550 , not sure its fully supported, but it gives me every bit of my resolution and I have no issues, but with no way to update/upgrade/install

it makes my head hurt

choice distro is Lenny 4.-5.

any last suggestions?
    Last edited by kiel; 04-28-2009 at 09:36 AM.

Try an Ubuntu 8.10 livecd... there is a "restricted driver manager" that has non-Free drivers available, your wireless card may be better supported, etc. using that.

If that works, the same drivers will be available for Lenny, but you may need to go thru more work to make it work.

possible

is it possible to pull the drivers from the live cd?
    Im not a big fan of ubuntu, I tried the latest about 4 weeks ago and had some sound issues etc, wasnt real fond of it, seemed to be somewhat restricted, having to use sudo and not run as a root/admin like a power user, kinda reminded me of a windows version of linux, the only distro I have been really happy with is debain, did like freebsd, but thats unix and not linux.

kiel

Well 8.10 is based on lenny, nicer desktop set up.

If you want to use su instead of sudo, then use sudo to set a password for root and you are ready to roll....

You can grab the kernel, modules, etc. off Ubuntu and use it in Debian, but I don't think you can just install the packages via apt - you'd need to grab them manually and put the files where they belong.

Quote Originally Posted by ph34r View Post
    Well 8.10 is based on lenny, nicer desktop set up.

If you want to use su instead of sudo, then use sudo to set a password for root and you are ready to roll....

You can grab the kernel, modules, etc. off Ubuntu and use it in Debian, but I don't think you can just install the packages via apt - you'd need to grab them manually and put the files where they belong.
    problem is I had video and sound issues with ubuntu, and they seem to come out with so many new versions all the time, so many new changes, im not a big fan of lots of new changes, reminds me of MS

freebsd, other distros, possibilities for debian

How was your experience with freebsd? The compatibility with linux is normally pretty good. It doesn't seem like there's anything wrong with using it because it's not "linux"

Other user-friendly live distributions are simplymepis, mandrake, and pclinuxos. There is also debian-unstable based sidux, which might have better support for drivers. You could also add testing and unstable, and experimental repositories in debian to look for drivers.

freebsd

well once I got past the install it was good, except for the bit with the wifi, my card is supoported but im no guru when it comes to anything outside of MS. I like the old school look, like debian/freebsd, which may have something to do with my feeling twards ubuntu/mandrake and other distros who made an os off of something that was already there, ubuntu imo is so userfriendly/pretty... debain is plain and simple, that what I like about it, and its more hands on, no sudo/su, simple is better imo, i dont know, havent tried the latest and greatest freebsd, might be worth looking into, ill dl the iso and run a vm for a week and see how it runs

kiel

http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/free

Select KDE or Gnome. It includes all the private drivers, etc. After that (try live), if you like, navigate to easyurpmi, add the PLF medias using the web page (just follow prompts), open add/remove software and and win32codec, you are done, pretty much a 100% multimedia experience.

hlrguy
    Were you a Windows expert the VERY first time you looked at a computer with Windows, or did it take a little time.....
    My Linux Blog
    Linux Native Replacements for Windows Programs
    Mandriva One on a "Vista Home Barely" T3640 E-Machine runs great.

debian help

You should also check out the debian help forums at debian's site. I'm sure they could help you with your difficulties:

http://debian.org/support

During the install was your wireless card recognized. Did you get a prompt for a missing driver? If so write this down. Once we identify the driver there are ways to have it loaded during install and configured.

EdiMax is not enough detail to provide you with any specifics.

@kiel

The Intel Pro/100 VE network adapter requires the e100 driver to work. Unfortunately, however, it is non-free, and is hence provided by Debian in the form of source code.

The wireless adapter you have is an Edimax EW-7128G, built around the Ralink RT61 chip (we've discussed this earlier, remember?)
    Check this. It should put an end to your wireless woes, once and for all.

The ATi Radeon 9550, eh? Check this.

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Quote Originally Posted by kiel
    ...but that's UNIX, and not Linux.
    Both are based on more-or-less identical principles, perform more-or-less identically, and provide a more-or-less identical experience.

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Ubuntu IMO is so user-friendly / pretty... Debian is plain and simple, and that's what I like about it...
    I'm no guru when it comes to anything outside of MS...
    It makes my head hurt...
    a. You can make Ubuntu look plain and simple as well - just play around with themes, that it! Let me put it like this: Ubuntu = Debian. The only difference lies in the artwork and the sudo part. The internals are identical.

b. If you mean plain and simple as in nothing is sugar-coated (like in Ubuntu), try out something on the lines of Linux from Scratch. You'll be amazed at the amount of hair you can pull out in a day.

The point I'm trying to make is: user-friendliness does have its virtues, my dear friend. For starters, you'll have less headaches. Making things complicated is pointless.

I have read your previous posts and (more importantly) threads, and wish to ask you something: do you have this notion that Debian and FreeBSD are somehow more stable than the rest of the distros out there? Look, they are two very stable OSes, no doubt about that, but stability means different things to different people. Debian uses older versions of software, just to ensure that the end-user receives a product that has been thoroughly tested for bugs and security holes. This is good if your running a production-level server. But us normal users (this includes you and me) often feel the need for the latest-and-greatest versions of a particular program, because it has some feature that we might find useful.

Last time you tried to install your wireless card on an Etch machine and failed. Why? Because Etch bundled in a three-year old kernel which didn't even have the module required for your card to work. Are you starting to get my point?

Another point is that Debian insists on providing the end-user with free/non-patent-encumbered/non-proprietary software. This can sometimes be a pain in the you-know-where, when it comes to install hardware that relies on non-free firmware bits (both the Intel Pro/100 VE and the Ralink RT61 do.) Add software based on proprietary code, audio and video codecs to this, and you start to get the picture.

Ubuntu scores here, because it makes things easy for the average Joe. The frequent releases you complain of are actually good, in that you always have the latest-and-greatest software at your disposal. Have non-free hardware? No problem! The restricted driver manager should help you out. Restricted codecs? Software based on proprietary code? Just a few commands away.

...they seem to come out with so many new versions all the time, so many new changes...
    You do understand that it's not mandatory to upgrade everytime a new release comes out. While they do come out with a new release every 6 months, the guys at Ubuntu support every normal release for 18 months, and every long-term release for 3 years. This includes security fixes and updated versions of software. How cool is that? This way, you can opt not to upgrade to a new version, and still not be forced to use über-ancient software. (Debian comes out with a new release nearly every 2 years; every release is supported for nearly 5 years. Owing to a slow release cycle, updates between new releases do not take place as often as in Ubuntu. Plus, you have to wait for a new release for the kernel to get updated - unless you decide to build a newer version yourself, or use some convoluted trick (like EtchAndAHalf). With Ubuntu, everything gets refreshed every 6 months. Which I believe is a blessing of the first magnitude.)

Plus, it takes only two commands to keep your machine up-to-date (on both Ubuntu and Debian):

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    To upgrade to the latest version, simply issue:

Code:
    sudo apt-get dist upgrade
    It is really that simple. Oh, and did I mention that all your files and settings get carried over automatically?

And yes, Ubuntu is more than stable for a personal workstation. Millions of people use it worldwide. Heck, they even have a variant for production-level servers. I use it to power my personal media server.

...having to use sudo (all the time) and not (being able to) run (programs) as root...
    Quote Originally Posted by ph34r
    A better way is to use one of these:

Code:
    sudo su
    Code:
    sudo -s -H
    They will drop you to a root shell. BTW, the sudo concept is for your own good. One typo as root, and poof... monumental disaster. It's all that easy.

For other sudo-related information, see this.

sound issues...
    What sound chip do you have? Post us the output of this command:

Code:
    sudo lspci

I like the old-school look...
    What good is the old-school look, if it can't get the work done? (that's probably how Agent Smith would put it! )

Anyways, you can't get old-schooler than this:

And yes, that is Ubuntu (with a capital U).

Everything's possible, my friend. But you'll have to be patient, and willing to learn. Every distro is built with a particular purpose in mind. It may or may not provide exactly what you want. That doesn't make a very good excuse for giving up on Linux (that is, if you're really motivated to learn it.) While choosing a distro you might have to make trade-offs. Your choice will depend on what your priorities are: the plain and simple look, or something that works without a lot of hassle. Either you use something that's easy and work your way up to advanced stuff, or roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty. There's no other way.

So far as the plain and simple look is concerned, the wonder of Linux lies in the fact that you can mold the environment to what you want (irrespective of the distro). So it's all just a matter of experimentation.

And yes, giving up will only ensure that you remain ignorant of the sheer power that Linux has to offer. That's good stuff. That's addictive stuff.

That said, being a newbie, I strongly suggest you move over to Ubuntu. Once you've mastered the Linux way of doing things, you'll be more at ease with Debian. It will save you a lot of frustration in the long run.

Cheers!
    Last edited by i845_; 04-19-2009 at 02:18 AM. Reason: trying (and succeeding) to fix the horizontal scroll breakage ;-)

linux mint

And perhaps linux mint might work well for you. It is ubuntu, but with even more user-friendliness. It might do a better job of auto-configuring hardware and having multimedia codecs pre-installed.

Boff.....Linux is for those who want it...the newer hardware is not gonna make it any easier , lots of live cds out there , google linux is our friend , no virus to worry about....lots of distros to explore...it's not a sin to dualboot also.....good luck
    3 Slackware12.1 and 1 Debian Squeeze (3 puters), purring

Another possibility. I forgot if you still have a windows OS installed on it. If so, perhaps wubi would help? It is ubuntu installed within the windows partition as a loopback filesystem. I don't know if it would be able to make use of the windows drivers for your hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by ehawk
    And perhaps Linux Mint might work well for you. It is Ubuntu, but with even more user-friendliness. It might do a better job of auto-configuring hardware and having multimedia codecs pre-installed.
    I second that, for a couple of reasons:

a. Multimedia codecs come pre-installed.
    b. Better hardware detection.
    c. The start-up wizard allows for the creation of a dedicated root account.
    Last edited by i845_; 04-17-2009 at 02:43 AM.