goodbye sound ...

Thread: goodbye sound ...

goodbye sound ...

i've been using my hardy install (upgraded from feisty to gutsy to hardy) for sometime now on my ibm thinkpad r50e ...

recently i watched a movie (dvd) and poof ... the laptop just hanged up on me ... i rebooted my machine, and when i got back in, there is no sound at all !

i mean, i can still play flv, avi, wmv, mp3, 3gp files but no audio at all ! but whenever i press the volume buttons i get a beep sound ...

i have booted from a usb drive with slax and palyed an mp3 file and there was music to my ears

i have rebooted many times in hopes of the audio will come back on, but to no avail ...

what should i do next ? this is the first time that happened to me, and i'm stumped ...

thanks in advance ...

- james
    BASED FROM YOUR POSTS, I HAVE EXAMINED YOUR BEHAVIORAL PATTERN AND I SAW YOUR BRAIN'S TWO SIDES : LEFT & RIGHT, AND I SAW THAT ON THE LEFT SIDE THERE'S NOTHING RIGHT WHILE ON THE RIGHT SIDE THERE'S NOTHING LEFT

First and foremost, and I know this may seem obvious, but make sure all your mixers aren't muted. Alsa likes to start them muted.

If that has no luck, try running alsaconf, it will remove any loaded sound driver,try to detect any sound cards you have, if you have multiple sound cards, it will ask which you want to use as your default. It'll then load the appropriate drivers, and ask if you want to modify the related config files

Also, I know my card has a analog/digital switch that I need to enable to get sound, you may have something similar.

If that doesn't work, could you please post the output of lspci so we can have more information about your particular card?
    Join the JustLinux irc chat | irc.freenode.net | #linuxn00b
    San Diego Web Development | Used Computers for Sale

Slackware Linux | Gentoo Linux | Debian GNU/Linux
    Registerd Linux User #313504

lspci output :

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82852/82855 GM/GME/PM/GMV Processor to I/O Controller (rev 02)
    00:00.1 System peripheral: Intel Corporation 82852/82855 GM/GME/PM/GMV Processor to I/O Controller (rev 02)
    00:00.3 System peripheral: Intel Corporation 82852/82855 GM/GME/PM/GMV Processor to I/O Controller (rev 02)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 81)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801DBM (ICH4-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801DBM (ICH4-M) IDE Controller (rev 01)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) SMBus Controller (rev 01)
    00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)
    00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 01)
    02:00.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1510 PC card Cardbus Controller
    02:02.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection (rev 05)
    02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB PRO/100 VE (MOB) Ethernet Controller (rev 81)
    BASED FROM YOUR POSTS, I HAVE EXAMINED YOUR BEHAVIORAL PATTERN AND I SAW YOUR BRAIN'S TWO SIDES : LEFT & RIGHT, AND I SAW THAT ON THE LEFT SIDE THERE'S NOTHING RIGHT WHILE ON THE RIGHT SIDE THERE'S NOTHING LEFT

See if you're system hasn't somehow upgraded to Pulseaudio; I had this happen to me and ultimately just removed it to get my system using Alsa again.

Code:
    alsamixer
    should tell you the whole story.

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio
    to get rid of it.
    Linux user #367409

update :

i removed all media drivers and apps ... and suprisingly i suddenly had pulseaudio i dunno how it got into my system but nevertheless, after removing all of them and re-installing them back, i got my sound back ...

kinda tedious though but it was worth it ... a new learning experience for me ...