'Player' won't play CD in Centos, Xine does

Thread: 'Player' won't play CD in Centos, Xine does

'Player' won't play CD in Centos, Xine does

emachines W3115; CentOs 5.3 multiboot, KDE.

Sound and video in general has worked fine on this machine. I have played MIDI files, converted them to WAV, and played them with one or more players, including noatun.

When I install an audio CD, it brings up a window KDE Daemon which asks if I wish to:

Open in New window
    Extract and Encode Audio Tracks
    Play
    Do nothing.

This is standard these days.

The problem is, if I click on Play, it brings up a player called "player" which starts running smoothly, but no sound comes out of the speakers. I have no idea what 'player' is. There is no menu on it anywhere.

DVD videos work fine, at least the Bonanza one I tried.

If I open the CD rom, and right click a .wav file, either 'audio player' or 'mplayer' will play the file. Other choices don't.

*****If I go to the main menu ==> Multimedia and open Xine, then I can click on the CD button on Xine control and it will happily play the entire CD. *****

So, clearly the sound works fine except in 'player'.

There are two ways to go on this. Unless someone has an idea what 'player' might be, and some idea how to fix it, another solution which I find suitable is to open XINE, when I click on that window choice stated above when CD is installed, which means I can select ALWAYS.

I went to Configure on that mount window, and nothing seemed like it would actually let me configure anything at all.

I figurer there is a script file which selects the command when PLAY is selected.

The problem is with a zillion Googles, I get all kinds of player information; all kinds of Centos information; etc., but nothing useful that has anything to do with my problem.

Any ideas on how to change PLAY when it asks my choice on an installed CD, so it will run Xine?

Note Centos forums does not allow a search on less then 3 characters, which makes it difficult to search for CD information.

You can probably find out what this "Player" program is by firing up a terminal, running ps -ef >before (to dump the full list of processes running), and then doing whatever to bring up "Player", and doing ps -ef >after (to dump the list of processes that are *now* running).

Then diff -u before after to see what got added/changed: there shouldn't be a whole lot. One of the lines that starts with + will hold the process name of this "Player" thing. With that, you might be able to find docs...

(Then delete both "before" and "after". )

When I get time...

I have been writing articles for forums and private mailing list on preparations for Mexican Pig Flu here in rural Mexico. So, there may be some delay, thanks for tip.

My real goal, unless finding out what Player really is helps me find the script file, is to change to Xine, to make it work. However, a Player fix would also be fine.

I am getting angry about this short time

I worked on an answer to your posting, and when I went to send it, permissions had timed out which happens a lot. In the process, I lost that lengthy posting which explained what the problem was and how I solved it. I am getting sick and tired of short time-outs on postings.

Problem solved, but I am not going to type that posting in again. Thanks for clues.