Can't start Adobe Reader on browser

Thread: Can't start Adobe Reader on browser

Can't start Adobe Reader on browser

Hi folks,

Ubuntu 8.04
    Firefox
    Adobe Reader 9

Adobe Reader doesn't start on browser. On browsing websites having .pdf fire they ask to install Adobe Reader. However Adobe Reader 9 is running on this box.

Applications -> Office -> Adobe Reader 9
    starts the application.

$ locate nppdf.so
    Code:
    /opt/Adobe/Reader9/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so
    /root/.mozilla/plugins/nppdf.so
    /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/nppdf.so
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/nppdf.so
    /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/nppdf.so
    $ ls -al /opt/Adobe/Reader9/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so
    Code:
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 10490 floppy 179552 2009-02-28 08:14 /opt/Adobe/Reader9/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so
    $ ls -l /root/.mozilla/plugins/nppdf.so
    Code:
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 179552 2009-04-25 21:56 /root/.mozilla/plugins/nppdf.so
    $ ls -l /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/nppdf.so
    Code:
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 179552 2009-04-25 21:56 /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/nppdf.so
    $ ls -l /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/nppdf.so
    Code:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 179552 2009-04-25 21:56 /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/nppdf.so
    $ ls -al /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/nppdf.so
    Code:
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 179552 2009-04-25 21:56 /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/nppdf.so

nppdf.so is already there. Please advise how to solve the problem. TIA

B.R.
    satimis

Did you set the firefox preferences to use Adobe Reader?
    $whatis microsoft
    microsoft: nothing appropriate

Quote Originally Posted by techwise View Post
    Did you set the firefox preferences to use Adobe Reader?
    Hi techwise,

Yes.

Prefereces -> Main -> Manage Add-Ons -> Plugin
    Adobe Reader 9.1

is there enabled.

On browsing .pdf doc it popup;
    Code:
    I'm sorry. I can't find Acrobat Reader 5.0 installed. Please download and install plug-in before viewing statement.
    Would 9.1 version can't read the .pdf doc of version 5.0?

B.R.
    satimis

Perhaps this may help

From http://linuxowns.wordpress.com/2008/...-applications/

Using jaunty, tried to link pdf’s to acrobat reader instead of evince:

- right click a pdf file
    - select ‘properties’
    - open ‘open with’ tab
    - select adobe acrobat

from now on all pdf’s are opened with my preferred application. Guess this works the same for other applications/formats. Not sure if this is jaunty specific.

From http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...firefox&page=2

Wouldn't it be easier to open up Edit-->Preferences-->Applications in Firefox and change how it opens PDF files there? I personally don't like opening PDF files in firefox so I just use the pdf download add-on.

Do you have the acroread mozilla plugin installed?

Try running the following command:

sudo apt-get remove mozplugger && sudo apt-get install acroread acroread-plugins mozilla-acroread

I would make sure that the Plugin is enabled. Go to:

Tools->Add-ons

Go to the Plugins section, and look at Adobe Reader 8.0 and make sure it's enabled. On the bottom right of that you'll see a little button, either Enable or Disable. If it says Enable then the Plugin is disabled. I tested and found that if it's disabled they open in Evince, if it's Enabled they open in the plugin version of Acrobat.

Finally, see this bug report:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...fs/+bug/264309
    Last edited by ehawk; 05-08-2009 at 01:24 AM.

In firefox, "Edit" > "Preferences" > "Applications" tab, make sure you have the proper reader selected for the "Adobe Acrobat Document" line item.

M

Doh! Ehawk covered that already.
    Last edited by techwise; 05-08-2009 at 11:06 AM.
    $whatis microsoft
    microsoft: nothing appropriate

Quote Originally Posted by techwise View Post
    In firefox, "Edit" > "Preferences" > "Applications" tab, make sure you have the proper reader selected for the "Adobe Acrobat Document" line item.

M

Doh! Ehawk covered that already.
    Select that line as;
    PDF document Use Acrobat Reader 9 (default)

Restart Firefox.

Situation remains the same, asking to install Acrobat Reader 5

satimis

<several days later...>

Quote Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    On browsing .pdf doc it popup;
    Code:
    I'm sorry. I can't find Acrobat Reader 5.0 installed. Please download and install plug-in before viewing statement.
    I'd wager you're looking at a website that was written by a @#&#37;^# idiot, myself.

The site's author assumes everyone on the planet runs IE, and everyone on the planet allows ActiveX controls to be handled from javascript, from everywhere. In IE, the Acrobat PDF plugin is an ActiveX object, because it has to be (that's how the plugin interface works). But that also means that javascript code can attempt to create an instance of that object, which (if it succeeds) will tell the script that you do indeed have the plugin.

Of course, *no* browser on Linux supports ActiveX (and nothing on Windows does either, except IE), so this javascript call that they're using fails. And it fails in the same manner as what that the code is expecting to see if the user doesn't have the plugin. So the code happily assumes that the you don't have the plugin, even though you do.

(This has hit me before when we disabled the Acrobat PDF ActiveX control company-wide, because it had several buffer overflow bugs that weren't getting fixed by Adobe, which these scripts could exploit. And at least one site broke because of it, because that site was using exactly this type of script. Luckily the site allowed you to download the PDF separately; clicking on that link (and loading it into the browser window, via the plugin -- since the plugin was still enabled company-wide) worked perfectly well...)

Depending on what you want to do, have you tried native Linux apps? I use konqueror/ocular for reading .pdf files. I don't know what Gnome uses.

Last edited by ehawk; 05-16-2009 at 09:23 AM.