adding users to a group at command level

Thread: adding users to a group at command level

adding users to a group at command level

Hello,

I just added myself to the root group with the following command:

# /usr/sbin/usermod -G root,osas randy

but it has not taken affect, i am still not able to enter a directory where only the owner and group are root and only root has the rights to enter it while logged in as randy. I need for it to take affect without rebooting the server. Also i need to be able to do it at command level, not thru any gui stuff.

thanks

Group membership changes don't kick in until the user has logged out completely and logs back in. You don't need to reboot - just completely log out.

thanks

Not entirely sure if this will work. Anyway, it's inadvisable for the same reasons people argue about logging in as root.

I think the Linux security model will prevent anyone without an effective UID of 0 (root's UID and GID) from attaining root privileges.

If you need more than one root account, many years ago, I did create a "root2" account for someone else to use and I believe I simply gave it a UID and GID of 0 in /etc/passwd. I believe this is all I did and it worked.

James
    -----------------------------
    UseLinux.net
    -----------------------------

perl -e 'use Math::Complex;$|=1;for$r(0..24){for$c (0..79){$C=cplx(($c/20.0)-3.0,-($r/12.0)+1.0);$Z= cplx(0,0);for($i=0;($i<80)&&(abs($Z)<2.0);$i++){$Z =$Z*$Z+$C;}print$i>=80?"*":" ";}print"\n";}'