Pointing make toward ~

Thread: Pointing make toward ~

Pointing make toward ~

I love KDE4 now, but I still want KDE3, so I I want to build KDE3.5.10 and install it to my home directory, sort fo like konstruct does, but the current version. I've built almost an entire KDE3 before, so I'm pretty surte it's doable, but what do I do different to point the installer at ~. If the answer is in the man page for make I couldn't see it.

Hey, the answer wouldn't be

./configure
    make
    make install ~

would it?

./configure --prefix=/your/home/dir

Just FYI you can use the --prefix option to make it point to any directory on the system. So if you wanted to make a new directory and have the software install there you can do something like:

Code:
    mkdir /bobs_your_uncle
    ./configure --prefix=/bobs_your_uncle
    "The author of that poem is either Homer or, if not Homer, somebody else of the same name."

Great, so instead of building KDE3 in ~, I can create a seperate folder on /

Code:
    mkdir /kde3.5.10
    Now my first concern is Qt3. There's all kinds of Qt3 development packages in the ubuntu repos, if I just install them with apt-get that'll cover it, right? No need to do something elaborate like build the source code in the same directory, am I right or am i just wishful thinking?
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install qt3-dev-tools* build-essential
    It think that if there's a problem, the configure script will probably let me know. So I believe that, for starters, i need to compile arts

ftp://download.kde.org/pub/kde/stabl...1.5.10.tar.bz2
    Last edited by blackbelt_jones; 06-14-2009 at 02:23 PM.

Error message. For arts. This is my second attempt at make, the output is a lot shorter. Does anybody know anything that will help me?

Code:
    dushku@vajayjay:~/Desktop/arts-1.5.10$ make                                                                                                                
    cd . && /bin/bash ./config.status config.h                                                                                                                 
    config.status: creating config.h                                                                                                                           
    config.status: config.h is unchanged
    make  all-recursive
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/dushku/Desktop/arts-1.5.10'
    Making all in libltdl
    make[2]: Entering directory `/home/dushku/Desktop/arts-1.5.10/libltdl'
    make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/dushku/Desktop/arts-1.5.10/libltdl'
    Making all in mcop
    make[2]: Entering directory `/home/dushku/Desktop/arts-1.5.10/mcop'
    make  all-am
    make[3]: Entering directory `/home/dushku/Desktop/arts-1.5.10/mcop'
    /bin/bash ../libtool --silent --tag=CXX   --mode=compile g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I../artsc -I../libltdl -I/usr/local/kde/include -I/usr/share/qt3/include -I.  -I../libltdl -DEXTENSION_DIR='"/usr/local/kde/lib"' -DTRADER_DIR='"/usr/local/kde/lib/mcop"' -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT  -D_REENTRANT -pthread -I/usr/local/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/local/lib/glib-2.0/include    -Wno-long-long -Wundef -ansi -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -Wcast-align -Wchar-subscripts -Wall -W -Wpointer-arith -O2 -Wformat-security -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wno-non-virtual-dtor -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new -fno-common  -ftemplate-depth-99  -MT mcoputils.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/mcoputils.Tpo -c -o mcoputils.lo mcoputils.cc
    mcoputils.cc: In function 'char* locate_mcop_dir()':
    mcoputils.cc:74: error: 'PATH_MAX' was not declared in this scope
    mcoputils.cc:91: error: 'kde_tmp_dir' was not declared in this scope
    mcoputils.cc:100: error: 'user_tmp_dir' was not declared in this scope
    mcoputils.cc: In function 'int build_link(const char*, const char*)':
    mcoputils.cc:227: error: 'PATH_MAX' was not declared in this scope
    mcoputils.cc:236: error: 'kde_tmp_dir' was not declared in this scope
    mcoputils.cc:245: error: 'user_tmp_dir' was not declared in this scope
    mcoputils.cc:321: error: 'tmp_buf' was not declared in this scope
    mcoputils.cc: In static member function 'static std::string Arts::MCOPUtils::createFilePath(std::string)':
    mcoputils.cc:367: error: 'PATH_MAX' was not declared in this scope
    mcoputils.cc:368: error: 'tmp_prefix' was not declared in this scope
    make[3]: *** [mcoputils.lo] Error 1
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/dushku/Desktop/arts-1.5.10/mcop'
    make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/dushku/Desktop/arts-1.5.10/mcop'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/dushku/Desktop/arts-1.5.10'
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    dushku@vajayjay:~/Desktop/arts-1.5.10$

Later:
    It looks like my problem may be the failure to set environment variables. I don't know how to do that, or even what it means, but I've decided that before I do specialized builds of KDE3 to specific directories, i should try just building KDE3, for the sake of the experience. So I wiped Kubuntu, and installed Vector Linux standard, a Slackware / XFCE based distro, and I'm building KDE3 to wherever it happens to go by default. It seems to be going well. Arts was configured, made and installed. KDE-Libs configured and is now making.
    Last edited by blackbelt_jones; 06-14-2009 at 09:54 PM.

I'm just guessing here, but I think the problem is actually your version of gcc. You probably have a newer version of gcc that expects those variables to be set, and they are expecting you to compile it using an older version of gcc. You might try installing an older gcc and see if that works. You might also be able to set the CC and/or CXX environment variables to an older version of gcc?

If you want to set environment variables it's as easy as using the export command. For example, I might want to create an env. variable called SQLLIB and point it to /sql. You can do it in two steps:

Code:
    SQLLIB=/sql
    export SQLLIB
    or you can do it all in one step:

Code:
    export SQLLIB=/sql
    You have probably set your PATH variable in the past -- something like:

Code:
    export PATH=$PATH:/path/to/somewhere/else
    If you have, you were setting the environment variable known as PATH. You just didn't know that's what you were doing. You can always see what the env. variables are by just typing:

Code:
    set
    "The author of that poem is either Homer or, if not Homer, somebody else of the same name."

Awesome! I use the export command to switch the default text editor

export EDITOR=/usr/bin/emacs

So I can edit the /etc/sudoers file with visudo and still maintain my fierce determination to go through life without ever learning how to use vi!

And thanks for the guess. Your guesses are better than my guesses. Sooner or later, something will work, and carry me onward to the next thing that doesn't work. Later, rinse, repeat!

For the sake of curiosity, If there's anyone out there running *buntu jaunty, could you do me a favor and tell me what version of gcc you're running?
    You can find out by typing

gcc --version

that's if you even have it installed, i just remembered it isn't installed by default.

Right now I'm working with Vector linux gcc working with gcc 4.2.3. It's working well, knock on wood.

I'm going to keep posting about my efforts in here. Partly for fun, partly, so I can get help when I need, and partly so that there will be a record of all everything I did.

__________________________________________________ ____________-

kdelibs installed without a hitch, now to install KDE base. This one's gonna take all night, but once I've got it installed, I think I'll have the same basic version of KDE that's on the default SLAX cd, and if that's so, I've already compiled everything that's left a couple of times.

__________________________________________________ __________________

Okay, I can now say I've built kde3 from source! I'd post a screenshot, but it's 4:30 AM, and I think we all know what KDE 3.5 looks like! The login manager didn't seem to work, but i was able to log in from the console without a hitch. Time to catch a few z's.
    Last edited by blackbelt_jones; 06-15-2009 at 04:39 AM.

Code:
    james@boondoggle:~$ gcc -v
    Using built-in specs.
    Target: i486-linux-gnu
    Configured with: ../src/configure -v --with-pkgversion='Ubuntu 4.3.3-5ubuntu4' --with-bugurl=file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.3/README.Bugs --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,obj-c++ --prefix=/usr --enable-shared --with-system-zlib --libexecdir=/usr/lib --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --enable-nls --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.3 --program-suffix=-4.3 --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-objc-gc --enable-mpfr --enable-targets=all --with-tune=generic --enable-checking=release --build=i486-linux-gnu --host=i486-linux-gnu --target=i486-linux-gnu
    Thread model: posix
    gcc version 4.3.3 (Ubuntu 4.3.3-5ubuntu4)

Your error message is not gcc-version-related (...well, I don't think anyway); it's a bug in arts that's tickled by a newer glibc. (That mcoputils.cc file is not including everything that it relies on. In older glibc versions this works fine, but it's never guaranteed to work.) There's even a patch in gentoo:

http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py...ch?view=markup

If you add that "#include <limits.h>" to your mcoputils.cc, it will likely compile. Not that you can do that anymore, now that you've wiped that OS...