Banned from the Kubuntu forum

Thread: Banned from the Kubuntu forum

Banned from the Kubuntu forum!

I am so finished with posting in forums about KDE3 vs. KDE4! I installed the second 4.3 beta today, and my longest and strongest grievance against KDE4 has been resolved. The filter bar in Konqueror has been restored. KDE4 is what I'm using all the time now, but I still want my KDE3, and I'm going to have it. I have no doubt that soon I will have learned how to build KDE and install to a different part of my hard drive, so I can run both in the same system. In my opinion, KDE3 is the greatest graphical workstation ever, and KDE4 is the greatest home desktop ever. They are both indispensible, and I will have both. Everybody else's desktop can just roll off the end of the world for all I care. I wash me hands of it!

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3104332.0

Here's the thread that got me banned from the kubuntu forum. I posted the Aaron Seigo link to make the point that everybody gets what they want. I think it's largely unknown that KDE3 will be supported as long as it has it has a user base, because that's how free software works. Apparently, distributing that kind of information is negative, destructive, and the worst sort of trollery. Telling people that everybody gets what they want, and there's no need to fight ... this is deliberately inciting controversy.

Of course, to be fair, I wound up behaving like a total dick, and I deserved the ban. In fact I pretty much volunteered for it.. In the role of peacemaker, I am genetically predisposed to get in my own way. If the point of comunication is to communicate, ranting about "the cult of KDE4 " is monumentally stupid. It's not meant to reflect on the software or the developers, but rather to the mindset that turns every statement of praise for one KDE into a death threat against the other KDE.

Yes I did say that YOU'D HAVE TO PRY KDE3 FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS, and I'd say it again. The only difference now is that I feel the same way about KDE4.

I think it would be nice if somebody else tried to get the information in Aaron's article out. "Everybody gets to use whatever KDE they want" ought to be good news. I worry about more unpleasantness, more heartbreak and conflict in the community when KDE4 finally gets to our stable Debians and Slackwares. But I'm obviously not very helpful in this role. Anybody?
    Last edited by blackbelt_jones; 06-13-2009 at 07:44 PM.

there are huge forums out there
    don't be so sad because of it

Sad? Hell, I'm already working on the "Banned by Kubuntu" banner for my blog!

Incidentally, I installed the second beta for KDE 4.3 for the first time this morning, and for anyone who hasn't seen it, make no mistake, it's just madman as a home desktop. I love it like a five year old loves Christmas morning. Is it good for a professional workstation? Well, probably for one of these Web 2.0 companies where they have Atari machines in the breakroom or whatever, but I promise you, my last boss, a lawbook publisher would not give KDE4.3 a serious thought. Of course, he was an extreme case. My last boss believed in giving everybody the least amount of software. When I left in 2002, most of us were still using Windows 3.1, but I honestly think some that even employers who are not crazy will be wary of all this desktop awesomeness.

I only very recently discovered that the virture of KDE3 is an incredible facility for drag-and-drop manipulation of data, much better than Gnome, in my opinion. You can make data jump through hoops with drag and drop. KDE 4 isn't even particularly interested in developing this facility, as far as I can tell. It's a different dog doing different tricks.

I really think we need two KDEs... sure, I grant you, it's an insane idea, but it's made somewhat less insane by the fact that is what we have. Why not just run with it? Actually, I think that's how it's going to play out, no matter what anyone thinks or decides.

God, I just can't get off the subject! How long before I'm banned from here?
    Last edited by blackbelt_jones; 06-14-2009 at 12:34 AM.

This reminds me of those idiotic discussions I used to get into with people about the command line. You can't talk to some people about the virtues of the command line without them hearing you tell them they need to give up their GUIs, which of course, is ridiculous, but you have a seizure trying to make that point. Instead of getting into people's faces in forums and trying to make them see that there's no such thing as a KDE "Thunderdome, where only one KDE can survive, I'm going to work on perfecting ways of installing both KDEs on one system, and write about it. It's a great way of illustrating my point, and, besides, I want both KDEs on my system!

And Just like with the command line, it's not about one tool being better than another tool-- it's about two tools being better than one tool!
    Last edited by blackbelt_jones; 06-14-2009 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbelt_jones View Post
    it's about two tools being better than one tool!
    Yea! I always say two hammers are better than one.
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

Gnome > KDE
    Linux user #367409

Its been a while since I posted here but doesn't getting into arguments and getting banned from sites happen to you a lot?
    Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
    (No trees were killed in posting this message. However, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced.)
    ----------------------------------
    Debian user since Potato
    Syngin: Web Portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Syngin View Post
    Its been a while since I posted here but doesn't getting into arguments and getting banned from sites happen to you a lot?
    I've never been banned from a forum before, and I don't get into arguments nearly as much as I used to.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbelt_jones View Post
    when KDE4 finally gets to our stable Debians and Slackwares.
    wait, what? it's in Slackware now...

...and I don't get into arguments nearly as much as I used to.
    It's because you've finally accepted the fact that you're generally wrong.
    Slackware current (Dell Latitude D610)
    CentOS 5.2 (Servers)
    Registered Linux User # 375030

Quote Originally Posted by psych-major View Post

It's because you've finally accepted the fact that you're generally wrong.
    It happens, that's for sure!

I think that Slackware-based distros like Vector and Zenwalk may end up the final refuge of KDE3 users. Currently, both distros come with XFCE as the default (there's also a Gnome version of Zenwalk) and package managers that allow you to install either version of KDE.

(Or both, but that may not be a good idea. Here's a screenshot of what happens when KDE3 and KDE4 try to open at the same time (I had both installed and was trying to open KDE3

http://i546.photobucket.com/albums/h...napshot2-1.png

I think this is Vector Linux. You can actually see both panels, and both menus.)
    Last edited by blackbelt_jones; 07-10-2009 at 01:32 AM.