Can't find network

Thread: Can't find network

Can't find network

Using Ubuntu 8.04 and want to join my lan at home (2 more computers [Windows]) and a USB HDD. But I just can't find my way. Have opened

System/Admin/Network, and
    System/Admin/Network Tools

but still cannot figure out how to reach the other computers (I know their IP #'s and can ping them, but just cannot seem to add them.

Can anyone either refer me to a very basic linux network configuration tutorial or step me through it? TIA

Also may have a network place name incompatibility. Both of my windows computers shows Mshome for one area name and Workgroup as another for the linux computer and the USB HDD, and unsure if this is a problem or one go them needs to be changed to the same as the other?

And, 'ifconfig' gives you the ip# of the computer you are on. Is there a shell command that interrogates all other devices on the network and returns their ip #'s?

the answer was right under my nose. in Ubunutu 8.04:

Places/network

Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey View Post
    And, 'ifconfig' gives you the ip# of the computer you are on. Is there a shell command that interrogates all other devices on the network and returns their ip #'s?
    Take a look at nmap. It should be in the repos -- just run sudo apt-get install nmap and read the man pages (or google) for how to use it. It's pretty slick and can tell you all sorts of information about the other machines on your network.
    "The author of that poem is either Homer or, if not Homer, somebody else of the same name."

Thanks.