KDE4 "Folder View" setting

Thread: KDE4 "Folder View" setting

KDE4 "Folder View" setting

Here's something I posted in another forum about KDE4.3, which was released yesterday. Actually, at the time, I had only tried the release candidates, but now I have the actual 4.3.0 installed with Kubuntu, and it's generally pretty sweet.

My God, I'm actually running KDE4 most of the time now! 0_0 I haven't wiped my OS in a fit of frustration and disgust in... well, days, anyway!

http://twitpic.com/a6w76

Here's a screenshot of KDE 4.3, release candidate 3, with the Folder View mode engaged. The great thing about folderview is that it looks like KDE. And it acts like KDE, too. All the same great drag-and drop capabilities. I can drag and drop an image on the desktop and set it as background. The only thing different is that I get to add a couple of widgets, and, more important change the desktop directory. The ability to shift the location of the "Desktop folder" is the most important feature of KDE4, and it's going to make it worth all the aggravation. It could lead to a future of discreet "dedicated desktops". We can now build an individual Desktop for different individual tasks... a desktop for studying, a desktop for writing, a desktop for working, a desktop for media. For some people, this might lead to greater efficiency and flow. I've been thinking about this aspect of KDE4 ever since I heard the following story on NPR, in which the fragmented, all-purpose desktop is used as a metaphor for our fragmented multi-tasking consciousness.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=95524385

Use the folderview mode
    Be sparing with the widgets.

And maybe you, too can be happy running KDE4. Or maybe not. How the hell should I know?

Here's a diagram I made using Ksnapshot and Gimp, explaining how to activate Folder View for a more classic KDE look and feel. In my opinion, once Folder View is engaged, KDE4.3 is good. In fact, it's better than good, it's KDE.

http://twitpic.com/cvlb6

Sidux has actually taking the step of using folderview for the default with it's latest live CD, which I think is their first using KDE4. It looks like a slicker, tighter version of KDE3.5. All the drag and drop functions are exactly the same. The panel needs a little work. I think they'll probably get to that. Sooner or later, these guys get around to everything.

http://twitpic.com/b5h2s

For those who love KDE3 and have been unhappy with the look and feel of KDE4's plasma's desktop, there is much reason to be hopeful.
    Last edited by blackbelt_jones; 08-05-2009 at 03:16 PM.

Which distro are you running these days?

Quote Originally Posted by spowel4 View Post
    Which distro are you running these days?
    Kubuntu. I hate to admit it, because I think they're all control freaks, and they banned me from their forum, but I keep coming back to it because it simply works best for me.

I was critical of Kubuntu for dropping KDE3 (by "critical" I mean "mad as hell") but a year or so later, KDE4 is getting awesome, and they've got a good solid debian-based KDE4 distro. It looks like I was wrong again.

Lucky for me, I never get tired of being wrong. It seems like I never learn anything without being wrong in a big way first.

Hey, you know what else is awesome about KDE4.3 in Kubuntu? I recently noticed that flash video is running on Konqueror now! It's not bad, either. I was watching a music video form YouTube and it started out a little jerky, but within thiorty seconds or so it was perfect. How long has this been going on?

Did hell just freeze over?

It did, because since he posted this he's now running Slackware.
    Slackware current (Dell Latitude D610)
    CentOS 5.2 (Servers)
    Registered Linux User # 375030

Wow! You got banned from Kubuntu. net? Those guys are pretty ornery, so you must have worked at it. I can no longer openly recommend Kubuntu. No one should use a distro where the forums are nasty.

I was pretty sick with 9.04. They made way too many changes with no user clues, and business can't afford that. Plus a lot of hobbyists won't tolerate it.

I am retired, and worked through a long list of serious problems. Now, I am beginning to view it as one of the best versions of Kubuntu.

I hesitate to try KDE 4.3. Results seem to vary from wonderful to disaster. Maybe I will load 9.04 on another partition and see what happens there with 4.3 to decide if I want to put it on what is now my main partition.

think you're wrong psych. Last I heard he's back on Kubuntu.
    Check out the Unix/Linux Administration Program at Seneca College.
    Thanx to everyone that helped/helps me on this forum!

t0mmyw on #linuxn00b

Quote Originally Posted by irlandes View Post
    Wow! You got banned from Kubuntu. net? Those guys are pretty ornery, so you must have worked at it. I can no longer openly recommend Kubuntu. ux.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152659&highlight=forumNo one should use a distro where the forums are nasty.http://justlin
    Well, it's like this. There's this person who is maniacally pro KDE4, while I was going through a very public struggle with it. I started out out hating it, and soon came to respect it, but I still found it frustrating, and I chose to post very raw complicated, half crazed posts in the KDE forum, alternately praising and venting. I felt like that was the best way to express my issues to the community as completely and honestly as possible, and i must say, the community in the KDE forums generally seemed to get it. A lot of my complaints were answered-- not in the forum, but in subsequent versions of KDE, and they just let me go on. But this guy did not get it, and when we met in the Kubuntu forum he started to accuse me of being a Microsoft mole, spreading FUD.

(Now, I think that's pretty silly. If you're an astroturfer, you don't spread FUD about KDE in the KDE forum, where people know all about KDE, inside and out. True FUD requires an atmosphere of ignorance in which to flourish.)

Anyway, I don't think that the Kubuntu foruim is a nasty place at all. It was a case of two crazy geeks, one of them had to go, and this was the other crazy geek's home turf.

Here's where I discussed this incident before in here.

http://justlinux.com/forum/showthrea...ighlight=forum

What distro am I using these days? Hell, I don't even know! I have slackware installed, but I still haven't been able to get X working, so when I want a GUI (most of the time) I'll run a live CD, either Kubuntu, Slax or Sidux. I just downloaded a new openSUSE CD that's supposed to use KDE4.3. I'm going to burn that now.
    Last edited by blackbelt_jones; 08-21-2009 at 07:41 PM.

I repeat a nasty place

The reason I think it's a nasty place is not long ago a man came on, and told a long list of problems he had with 9.04, and that most of his (friends or fellow workers, I do not remember) had long ago given up on Kubuntu and he was going to do the same.

They immediately started the childish routine, calling him a troll (does anyone remember what a troll is these days or is it just a name to toss out?) and telling him not to let the door slam on his backside, lots more.

One thing I have learned over the years is it is mostly trolls, that is troublemakers, who call other people with a serious rant, trolls.

I told them I am moderator on a social issues board which by its nature might be rather volatile, and if someone posted insults like that they would be banned in 15 seconds. There is no excuse for treating a poster like that. There was no reason to believe he was not telling the truth.

His anger is no excuse. It is possible with adult behavior to at least leave the person open to trying again somewhere down the road. Once you pounce on someone like that, who needs it after his bad experience like he needs holes drilled in his head, he not only will go away, but you can be sure he will be a deadly enemy. Shuttleworth is actually putting money into the distro, and with enemies like that, that poster can convince a significant number of people to avoid K/Ubuntu.

I told about my experience on Mepis forum. I had 7.04 Kubuntu working fine, and one day hibernate stopped working. I found that swap UUID had changed, to this day I never did get hibernate working again though I went through the list of files which needed UUID to be correct.

I had tried Mepis live CD, one day I tried it again, and in front of my eyes, it said it was setting SWAP UUID, and it was messed up again, and I had to tweak /etc/fstab again and the other file, though it never has worked for hibernate, which makes me think there are other files with UUID.

I did the logical thing and went to Mepis forum to try to find out why it did that. I was immediately flamed, told I was a troll, that live CDs do not write to HD (which is totally false, of course, many do use swap which is really on the HD) and some weirdo from NZ started sending me e-mails trying to help me "redeem myself." He suggested among other things that I "Prove" it had done that. What a pack of dummies! With a live CD there is no proof. He told me I had been banned for trolling.

The only problem in their vicious attack is, I did indeed see the live CD scroll that it set UUID for Swap, and verified in Kubuntu that it did. Which makes those nasty people into fools.

Enemy of Mepis for life!!!!!!!

And, I do seriously tell people to cross Mepis off their list. Without paid support, the distro forum is the only place to get help outside of Google, and any forum which allows members to attack posters like that, but especially when the members have no idea what is happening, is not a place you should count on going for help.

As a moderator myself, I guarantee you this sort of nonsense is caused by poor moderators.