Can't log into Yahoo Messenger

Thread: Can't log into Yahoo Messenger

Can't log into Yahoo Messenger

Got an Acer netbook with Linux,
    switch on,
    go to 'Messenger',
    Messenger window opens,
    go to 'Sign in' - another window opens

'Your Yahoo Messenger account *****@ymail is error.
    Could not establish a connection the server:
    Error resolving scs.msg.yahoo.com:
    Temporary failure in name resolution

Any ideas out there ?

Somebody suggested i buy a Windows XP netbook instead

Is it configured correctly?

My Yahoo! mail address is ***@yahoo.com . If I type in ymail it does nothing. If I type in ymail.com it redirects me.

If I try scs.msg.yahoo.com it says Not Found

My first thought was a firewall or router could be blocking the messenger application, but it might just be something in the default set-up that's mis-typed (or out of date).

If that doesn't help it might be worth installing a different messenger client (or check to see if there's another one installed). I don't know what Acer uses by default, but I'm told a lot of people prefer Pidgin for Yahoo. When I used to use Yahoo, I had a lot of success with Gyach-e (google for Gyach or Gyach-e, it's still available) which it worked a lot better than Yahoo's official offering. I believe Kopete and Gaim will work too.
    We are free to think. We are free to plan. And we are free to do. But once an action has been taken, we are never free from its consequences.
    --Russel M. Nelson, apostle.

Make sure whatever client you are using for Yahoo has been updated recently. In June Yahoo turned off their old servers in favor of their new shiny ones, which would explain the error message. I use Pidgin and once updated to 2.5.7 it was all happy again. I think there are hacks that can be done like changing the clients logon server but using the latest version is always the better route. Latest Pidgin is 2.6.2

I've used Gyach in the past, although i did have webcam support (Pidgin is STILL lacking this) it was extremely crashy for me, not to mention ugly

Thanks for those replys, I'll try them as soon as I get a minute and report back.

As Icarus reports....Yahoo changes their messenger login every few months as they don't want you using a non-Yahoo Messenger client. They like to deliver their ads through their client and non-compliant messengers prevent this. It's all about ad revenue. I have used the Unix version of messenger fairly successfully. It does take a little work to get running but not impossible depends on your distro and your time. It is a little dated but use the newest version that you can work with. I converted the .rpm to .tgz (slackware) and made a couple of symlinks to update some dependencies.
    http://in.docs.yahoo.com/messenger/download/unix.html
    Last edited by JohnT; 09-15-2009 at 07:49 PM.
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!