Small, Fast Linux Distro for Newbie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small, Fast Linux Distro for Newbie

Small, Fast Linux Distro for Newbie

I have an old laptop and I'd like to run linux on it. I need something that won't leave a huge footprint and it has to be fast. It also have to be user friendly for a NOOB.

Please don't say Ubuntu...

Laptop: Make? Model?
    Amount of RAM you have?
    Some System specs? Size of Hard Drive? Boot from CD? Boot from USB?

I have a Compaq nx6110. 38GB HD and I'm not sure about the ram.

perhaps try linux mint?
    you're going to get 100 different answers, so just start installing and see what you like.
    slackware is an old favorite too...
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/q.../12135_na.HTML

Probably 256 MB RAM

Xubuntu might run well on it LOL

oops...according to one slashdot user, even xubuntu is a little slow when running more than several things using 256 MB RAM, so if that doesn't cut it, just install lxde using synaptic on xubuntu:

http://wiki.lxde.org/en/Ubuntu
    Last edited by ehawk; 10-29-2009 at 11:38 PM.

ChrunchBang Linux is really good. It is Ubuntu based with openbox wm.

But the best thing is to burn some live cd's and see what works.

http://crunchbanglinux.org/
    Debian Testing
    Absolute linux 12.x

My vote goes to Xubuntu. I recently put it on a Thinkpad 1.6Ghz with 1GB ram. Runs real nice and snappy.

Mike
    $whatis microsoft
    microsoft: nothing appropriate

Gosh, in one way or another, everybody said Ubuntu anyway. I recommend Vector Linux, or maybe Vector Linux light. the installer is text based, but pretty easy, and these folks do wonderful things with Slackware. A lot of the stuff you're going to want is already in there (flashplayer, mplayer a mess of cool browsers.)

Really any linux OS would work, you'll just need to use a lite window manager like xfce (which is what Xubuntu uses). I have a Oooooold laptop it's a Gateway Solo pI 233mhz 4.5gb HD with 384mb ram, the only linux I could get to install was Slackware. I use xfce for the WM it's slow but usable. If you are wanting to learn linux then my vote would be for slackware or like Blackbelt_Jones said one of it's offspring.

Checkout Puppy Linux (Slackware based) can be installed on a 1gb USB or to your Hardrive or run from CD.
    Last edited by JohnT; 11-01-2009 at 08:42 PM.
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

Mepis

Mepis works great with my old laptop (256mb ram)....everything is functional.....and easy to maintain good luck
    3 Slackware12.1 and 1 Debian Squeeze (3 puters), purring

Debian with fluxbox as WM or maybe crunchbang.

Openbox and fluxbox give you a very snappy UI which manages to look pleasing without extra clutter.

If you are new to linux I'd recommend you to try crunchbang first. When time goes by you will get better idea what you want from your OS and then it's right time to try debian. It requires bit more time to set up (crunchbang works pretty much "straight out of the box"), but i've noticed that in the long run debian gives you more stability and easier upgrade process. Newbie would probably be just lost because he usually has no idea what to install not having tried different alternatives linux has to offer.

There are many distros out there for different use cases and most of them are good. But the main thing is that you can't really choose before you know what you want. That's why you just have to start with something and figure it out yourself.

It's good to see you requesting something else than Ubuntu. While it certainly is newbie friendly it's in many ways complex and bloated. Many things are automatised behind the user's back and it's sometimes hard to know what is going on and why. Do I need all those services that are started up as default and hogging up the resources, probably not. Maybe I'd want some lighter WM like fluxbox. Is a full upgrade every 6 months going to work for my customised install or am I forced to reinstall. I've had bad luck with ubuntu upgrades in the past and been a happy camper with debian for a long time now. I'm sure you'll find your place too. For things fall into their place it just takes some time.
    ladoga

Guys, thanks for all your suggestions. It's more than 1gb ram. I tried Slackware, couldn't get past the installation. I am running Fedora right now. It runs nice, except I install flash player, but it's still asking me to install it. Also there's no Compiz which I like, just to show off to friends. I am looking at mint and may try it out. I tried puppy, but could not get the wifi to work. Maybe this will help you guys help me. I don't like KDE. I like the way Gnome works, so I would prefer a distro that uses that. I have not tried any other WM. Will try those suggested this weekend.

Thanks.

It should run linux mint without any problems from the processor or amount of RAM.

If you installed Fedora you should have no problems with Debian Proper. When I say 'Debian Proper' I mean the one and only Debian. It comes with Gnome. With one gig of ram you should have no problem running it or any other distro for that matter.

Give Debian Etch a shot. All you need is the 'netinstall' CD. And if your feel adventurous, upgrade to Squeeze, it's Testing branch.
    Thanks,
    Loopback48

Debian fanboy. And only Debian.

http://www.debiantutorials.org/