print alignment

Thread: print alignment

print alignment

Hello there,

As an entusiastic newcomer I have enjoying my Kubuntu 9.10

Problem:
    Brother DSC 145-C Printer with CUPS1.1

When set to A4 the page stars printing to high. That is the top gets lopped off and there is too much space at the bottom. When I plug a Windows machine into the printer, all works well.

Have tried other Linux forums and also the CUPS forum but noone seems to answer me.

Thanks

Just curious where you are, that you use A4 paper. Is that the actual size of paper that you have?

I would think that the issue would be with your driver. Is there more than one driver that you can try for your printer. My printer, an HP842C, has about 3 different drivers to choose from.
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

I thought I made a mistake once, but, of course, I was mistaken.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    I am in Europe and A4 is the norm.
    If I go into system setup and then Printer configuration and then in Settings I see under the heading driver the following:
    Printer Model: Brother DCP-145C (sorry, I misspelt it up there) CUPSv1.1
    There is button that allows me to chang it.
    When I go there I am givng only one choice of CUPS and that is version 1.1 (recommended). I know that there are higher versions of CUPS, in the Synaptic package manager I see that I have CUPS1.4.1-5 installed but I don't know why the printer won't take it.
    I tried printing with the default US letter setting. It starts fine at the top but of course the printed page is far too short for A4 so I get gaping empty spaces at the bottom.

Any ideas.

John

You should check out the CUPS Software Users Manual.

I think chapters 3 & 4 should help you out.

CUPS Software Users Manual

Good Luck,

The users manual seems not to include the fix I need, bascially it would require a negative bottom margin???
    But I don't think margins can do it. when I print a US letter sized page it begins in the right place (but stops short as US letter is a shorteR page)
    What is wierd is tah the A$ print finishes exactly where the US letter print does, of course the page is lopped off at the top.
    New problem, I pushed a few buttons in the printer configuration, tried reverse printing to see if it would start at the other end. Now when I try to print the test page I get "client-error-document-format-not-supported" and now I am really stuck. I put the reverse printing back to off but no go.

Stuck.

John

Sorry, bad spelling in my hasty reply.

What is wierd is that the A4 print finishes exactly where the US letter print does.....

is correct

John

I use A4 also and have had no problems with my CUPS settings.I do not have a Brother Printer however...Samsung and use the appropriate drivers for my printer.
    Try HERE.
    Last edited by JohnT; 11-13-2009 at 07:42 PM.
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

Thanks all,

Don't know what went wrong but removed and reinstalled CUPS (twice) and it now works,

Thanks for your time