In case I forgot . . .

Thread: In case I forgot . . .

In case I forgot . . .

In case I forgot to mention it:

56K dial-up SUCKS!!

Ok, now I feel better. And it beats no connection at all.

-------------
    Folding is Fun

I thought I made a mistake once, but, of course, I was mistaken.

LOL! I've been thinking of moving out to the country. But broadband coverage is iffy out there. I don't care if it's DSL or cable, I need - I want - I desire - broadband service. Can't do without it.

Can't think of making do with dial-up service. No way. So I guess that will be a deciding factor on where I move to.

No broadband? I'm not going. Just won't. I refuse!
    Thanks,
    Loopback48

Debian fanboy. And only Debian.

http://www.debiantutorials.org/

I just got back from 3 weeks being off island. It was broadband Nirvana (not the band). What's really sad, my folks have DSL and downloads run at about 300K/s (or is that Kbps). Anyway, and the only time they use it is for an occasional email and to chat with me on Yahoo. They don't really know why or how to use a browser!

And here I am with dial-up the only option, trying to fold on a dozen machines and get the results uploaded in a timely fashion. Download is about 2.4 to 4.2 kbps and upload is even slower!

What is it they say, "Life is tough. And then you die."

-------------
    Folding is Fun

HA! I wish I had dial-up speed. Here in Vladivostok I've got ADSL with 15kbps Takes a couple of days or more to download a distro.
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

I sure don't miss dialup, but when I listen to Fenster's excellent funked-out interpretation of "The Free Software Song", I'm reminded how much I loved that crazy dial-up noise you hear when logging in.

http://ia310833.us.archive.org/2/ite...eeSoftware.ogg

loopback48
    LOL! I've been thinking of moving out to the country. But broadband coverage is iffy out there. I don't care if it's DSL or cable, I need - I want - I desire - broadband service. Can't do without it.
    Isn't it funny how yesterdays luxuries become todays necessities, I just watched NCIS last night and it kind of dealt with that subject. There was a power outage and the team had to do everything old school. It was funny at the end when power is finally back on, all you could hear was the sound of keyboards.

bs_texas

Do they offer satellite or ISDN on the Island? I know ISDN is pricey, satellite has some restrictions plus the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by mrrangerman43 View Post
    Isn't it funny how yesterdays luxuries become todays necessities, I just watched NCIS last night and it kind of dealt with that subject. There was a power outage and the team had to do everything old school. It was funny at the end when power is finally back on, all you could hear was the sound of keyboards.

bs_texas

Do they offer satellite or ISDN on the Island? I know ISDN is pricey, satellite has some restrictions plus the cost.
    I saw that episode. I think Gibbs pulled out a Polaroid camera and other older technology. Still, I can't think of going back. The internet helps so much. Just the other day I signed up for Social Security. All without leaving my home. (Yes, I'm that old) There was once when I rescheduled a jury duty date on line. And banking online? Best thing since sliced bread!

I guess surviving in our modern age is possible using a dial-up. But I sure as hell don't want to try.

I can't do without, nor will I do without, broadband. Just won't. I'll give up beer, cigarettes, and sex but not broadband. No way. Well, maybe not sex. I'm nearing 62 and... well. Mayby. I'll get back to you on that.
    Thanks,
    Loopback48

Ok, since the thread is going this way:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8368742.stm

Computer glitch hits US flights

As a result, controllers were forced to enter flight plans manually.
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

Quote Originally Posted by mrrangerman43 View Post
    bs_texas

I live on an army base in the middle of the pacific. We have no funding to speak of, so we are stuck with this ancient 56k dial-up modem pool.

I've heard talk of some changes in the works... but I'll believe that when I see it.
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by bs_texas View Post
    I live on an army base in the middle of the pacific. We have no funding to speak of, so we are stuck with this ancient 56k dial-up modem pool.

I've heard talk of some changes in the works... but I'll believe that when I see it.
    That's odd. My son is in Iraq (1st Cav Div) and he has internet service. Not what you would call high speed. But not bad at all. At least he does have internet service. And it's not dial-up. We IM everyday.

Here's what I want you to do. Get into your commanding officer's face and give him a piece of your mind. Do that for me. Would you?

And after he buries you, let us know how you're doing.

Hey, I'm just kidding. I too was in the service. The rule of thumb is 'Keep Your Mouth Shut!' And don't volunteer for a damn thing. So I understand.
    Last edited by loopback48; 11-19-2009 at 09:13 PM.
    Thanks,
    Loopback48

So, I recently purchased a USR business class 56K dial-up modem (V.everything, it's called), but I couldn't get it to work with my 32bit Smoothwall on a old Dell P4 computer. This weekend I installed the newest 64bit Smoothwall on an Atom 270 Shuttle X27 with the new modem connected, and it worked. It seems to hold the connection better and uploads better than the Zoom modem I've been using. Well, it uploaded about 10,000 points worth of folding in a couple of days. Doesn't really mean today or tomorrow will be the same though.

And don't be dissuaded, go back and see post #1.

Edit: Oh, and for Loopback48, I was in the Air Force from 1976 to 1980. (Dang!! That was 30 years ago!!) I currently work for an army contractor out here... But I still wouldn't get in the commander's face!!
    Last edited by bs_texas; 11-23-2009 at 08:18 PM.
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

but just think you can comfort yourself with the thought that because you use linux the odds that your computer is dialing countries like Guinea Bissau due to rogue software are far less than if you were on Windows.
    Just picture the long-distance charges on your next Bell bill .... EEEK!!!
    Linux user #367409