Mplayer discrepencies

Thread: Mplayer discrepencies

Mplayer discrepencies

When I try mplayer with different distros, I get different results. Right now I have Kubuntu Karmic on the hard drive, but most of the time I'm running Kiara , which is a rebuild of Slax, from a live CD. With Slax, and (I believe) also with Slackware, Mplayer doesn't seem to support playing flv (flash video), or, strange to say, ogg. Now, with Karmic, I can't get full-screen video, though I can get that with most Debian-based distros, including the earlier kubuntu jaunty. Any way of closing up these gaps?

for the flv, isn't' this something to doe with codecs, I couldn't play a lot with debian until I added debian-multimedia to the repositories

for the full screen, I had problems using full screen when my graphics drivers where not good.

That's surprisingly helpful. I don't think medibuntu has caught up with karmic just yet.

I think you're right about the codecs. All these distros have the essential codecs packages added, and they all have the same number of files in "codecs", I want to say 64. So it must be something other than codecs, in the strict, literal sense. Can anybody tell me what it is that supports .flv and .ogg videos in mplayer that the default, including all the essential codecs, lacks? I sure would like to get it onto my slackware-based live CD!
    Last edited by blackbelt_jones; 11-21-2009 at 07:47 PM.

I thought flv was flash video and should be supported through flash player.

Now if I could force this format to be played through mplayer instead of flash on firefox I'd be really happy as watching hockey on europe.espn360.com gets annoying as flash player does not like to buffer content at all. With my crappy dsl connection here in Germany it's stutter city. I will have to look into see if this is a possibility as dedicating 10mb to buffer would solve many of my problems.
    Last edited by JamminJoeyB; 11-23-2009 at 05:26 AM.
    Check out my ebay auction for my signature space on JLC.

Hey if people can sell advertising space on thier bodies, I figure I can make $.02 on my signature space.

Using VLC from medibuntu in Karmic and FLV files play fine...

Yea! VLC will play just about anything you throw at it....highly recommended!!
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

I'll try VLC in Slax

But again, FLV plays fine in Kubuntu after installing from medibuntu but in karmic (as opposed to jaunty) there's no full screen available for ANY format.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    Yea! VLC will play just about anything you throw at it....highly recommended!!
    If you'd put mplayer instead of VLC I'd have agreed.

Is there any simple advice to get VLC to do like you say??
    MI6, Offensive Information, Hackers, Encryption, UFO, AOL, Infowar, Bubba, benelux, Ufologico Nazionale, domestic disruption, 15kg, DUVDEVAN, debugging, Bluebird, Ionosphere, Keyhole, NABS, Kilderkin, Artichoke, Badger, spookwords, EuroFed, SP4, Crypto AG – a few, alleged, Echelon keywords. Please add some to your email signature. Full list: http://www.serendipity.li/cia/bz1.html
    http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/

Quote Originally Posted by lugoteehalt View Post
    If you'd put mplayer instead of VLC I'd have agreed.

Is there any simple advice to get VLC to do like you say??
    Simply....HERE
    and ....HERE
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    Simply....HERE
    and ....HERE
    QED - VLC's a pillock unless you've got a degree.
    MI6, Offensive Information, Hackers, Encryption, UFO, AOL, Infowar, Bubba, benelux, Ufologico Nazionale, domestic disruption, 15kg, DUVDEVAN, debugging, Bluebird, Ionosphere, Keyhole, NABS, Kilderkin, Artichoke, Badger, spookwords, EuroFed, SP4, Crypto AG – a few, alleged, Echelon keywords. Please add some to your email signature. Full list: http://www.serendipity.li/cia/bz1.html
    http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/