Can't Grasp Linux principles help a newbie

Thread: Can't Grasp Linux principles help a newbie

Can't Grasp Linux principles help a newbie

Hi all newbie here wanting to learn the linux system since its only been a year that I recieved this laptop and haven't got a clue how to use the linux programs. I was told that linux was better than windows and I would have no problem learning and installing programs just as I was with windows. Well a year has past and I still havent been able to install a program or do anything more than open my browser homepage and read my emails.
    Tried intstalling skype, nothing and didn't understand by choosing debian, ububtu,redhat, etc,, what one do you pick and do they all do the same thing or is one better than the other at whatever they do. Anyways I really really need basic help or linux for dummies as I am about to just replace it with windows if I don't figure it out before xmas.
    Thanks
    Lisbonlion

I would start by installing Ubuntu..it is the most newbie friendly distro. Then for each question you have or problem you encounter post here or on the Ubuntu forums for step by step help. For some it can be a steep learning curve if your background is not in computers, but just like MSWin it can be learned as with everything. I use Google to find most of the answers to my questions....usually someone has been that same road before.
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    I would start by installing Ubuntu..it is the most newbie friendly distro.
    And once you installed it, you really should start reading about how the files system works, the permissions and a bit about the command lines, ect... More you will read about Linux, more you will like it. That is a promess.
    Oh and welcome to Justlinux.

Linux Counter

Debian "Lenny"
    Mandriva 2010.2

"Where am I?" "In the Village." "What do you want?" "Information.""Whose side are you on?" "That would be telling.... We want information. Information! INFORMATION!"

I would recommend Ubuntu also for someone new to Linux. When you install it do some reading about the package manager, the package manager is one way you install programs on your system. Synaptic Package Manager is what Ubuntu uses(GUI side), installing most programs only takes a few clicks of the mouse. You can also use the command line side called apt or aptitude. It's as easy as typing a simple command like this sudo apt-get install skype-mid but one thing is going to be a must, you need to use linux use it for everything and when you have a problem work through the problem, that's how you learn. You didn't just walk up to a windows system and know what you were doing no, you had to learn it. The same is true with linux.

Thanks for the replies.
    Okay question if Linux is as to windows OS.Then what is Ubuntu, debian, etc...they are not an OS?
    I can relate to internet explorer with mozilla Firefox being a browser, is this what Ubuntu is?
    If the acer laptop has linux installed already does it mean I must re download it using Ubuntu?
    I have tried reading the material from google I seem struggle with it as I am a more hands on visual type learner. I do google alot of questions for answers to certain things and do get some good results but I find alot sites not that great or charging fees, google also needs to clean up its site from the old rubbish and useless info or cop of repeated information.
    Does this package manager come with Ubuntu or is a seperate download.
    The things that i want to be able to is is install skype or something of equall or better, i want to downlad limewire and some other programs i used in windows.
    i receive emails with files to open but cant open them because i need to install a program to read pdf etc...
    i have looked the commands and have tried using them with not much success.
    help getting to old for change and having to grasp new things in life, thats why so many seniors dont like changes as they are contempt with their pasts as the years move forward it becomes harder to learn new because we are accustomed for what we learned and have trouble adding new things to learn in our memory. oh well excuses are always the answers.

lisbonlion

Quote Originally Posted by Lisbonlion View Post
    Hi all newbie here wanting to learn the linux system since its only been a year that I recieved this laptop and haven't got a clue how to use the linux programs. I was told that linux was better than windows and I would have no problem learning and installing programs just as I was with windows. Well a year has past and I still havent been able to install a program or do anything more than open my browser homepage and read my emails.
    Tried intstalling skype, nothing and didn't understand by choosing debian, ububtu,redhat, etc,, what one do you pick and do they all do the same thing or is one better than the other at whatever they do. Anyways I really really need basic help or linux for dummies as I am about to just replace it with windows if I don't figure it out before xmas.
    Thanks
    Lisbonlion
    No one has the right to tell you won't have a problem learning Linux. Everybody is different. I had a hard time with it. I pretty much struggled for a couple of years. I think that's pretty unusual, by the way. I was dumber than most. I had barely used Windows when i started with Linux. People will try to encourage you by telling you how easy it is, but then if it isn't easy, you feel completely retarded. They're doing you a disservice. For me, it was hard. But for me, it was worth it. That's all I can tell you.

Now, when i say I struggled for two years, what I mean is that I kept on using Windows most of the time for two years, and picked up Linux slowly. Depending on your situation, installing Windows might be the best thing for you. My usual recommendation is that you get a cheap Desktop for practice, and just try a bunch of distros. Live CDs are especially great. I did not manage to get all of my basic functions working in Linux for a long time. Things have changed, so it would be easier, but it is what is, y'know?

Is Linux better? There's just no one answer for that. For me, it absolutely is. I like to work with old hardware, and Linux rules with old hardware. However, if I was a gamer, I might still want to use Windows, at least part of the time.

Linux is better than Windows for a lot of things, but one thing it's not as good at is being Windows. So, if everything you know and understand about what an OS ought to be was tought to you by your experience with Windows, you may not understand why we love it so much.

One big issue with Linux is the command line interface: the shell, the terminal, the console, the bashbox... It's the basic interface, our GUI applications are often built on it. For many, to evokes the bad old days before GUIs. Some of us are a little embarrassed by it, and I think that's unfortunate. Because we do have GUIs now, and we like them. In fact, we have a LOT of GUIs.

Here's the thing about the command line. For those of us who love Linux, who think it's better, the command line is often the reason why. It's powerful. That means that it often can do more with less effort. Just take my word on that for now.

You can pretty much use Linux without the command line these days, and that's a good thing, It's easier to start with, and you should always have that choice. but without the command line, it may never be any better than windows. Depends on what you're looking for.

The great thing about Linux is that it's built around two tools-- one simple (the GUI), one powerful (the CLI) and nowadays, you almost always have the choice. So you can start with the simple tool, and get comfortable with the powerful tool over time. It's not about one tool being better than another tool. It's about two tools being better than one tool.

There are a lot of myths about the command line, and one is that you have to memorize it, like it was multiplication tables or something, but you just have to practice it. You have to know where to find the information you need, use it, maybe take a few notes, and the stuff that you use more than once, you'll pick it up pretty quick.

And the command line is integrated into the desktop GUI, and that means that unlike the bad old days before the GUI, you don't have to use the command line for everything in order to use the command line. Make no mistake, that's a very good thing. Another big myth is that pro CLI means Anti-GUI. Rubbish. I love my Desktop environment. If I could, I would send it flowers.

Oh wait! I can!
    Last edited by blackbelt_jones; 12-15-2009 at 09:41 PM.

Okay question if Linux is as to windows OS.Then what is Ubuntu, debian, etc...they are not an OS?
    Ubuntu, Debian etc are distibutions of the Linux Kernel

If the acer laptop has linux installed already does it mean I must re download it using Ubuntu?
    The laptop will have its own distribution installed...could already be Ubuntu maybe not. A little looking aound might tell you.

I have tried reading the material from google I seem struggle with it as I am a more hands on visual type learner. I do google alot of questions for answers to certain things and do get some good results but I find alot sites not that great or charging fees, google also needs to clean up its site from the old rubbish and useless info or cop of repeated information.
    Try this and be as specific as you can with your queries

Does this package manager come with Ubuntu or is a seperate download.
    Ubuntu comes with its own package manager

getting to old for change and having to grasp new things in life, thats why so many seniors dont like changes as they are content with their pasts as the years move forward it becomes harder to learn new because we are accustomed for what we learned and have trouble adding new things to learn in our memory. oh well excuses are always the answers.
    I'm getting older than I care to mention but learning Linux was the best thing I could have ever done for myself. Learning sharpens the mind and keeps it active.....one of several ways to combat atrophy of the brain as we get older.
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

Lisbonlion, I don't know how old your are, but I'll be hitting 62 this coming Jan. I'll be collecting Social Security then. How's that for old? And I'm not the oldest on this forum nor the oldest working with Linux.

Ubuntu, Debian, Suse, Fedora and others are different flavors of the same thing. The constant thing in all of them is the Kernel - the base of any operating system. Depending on the distro (distribution) one can have different desktops or browser or word possessors, etc. When it comes down to the nut cutting, Linux is Linux.

Now let me throw this in just to make it more unclear. I feel the package manager is of paramount importance. There are more that one. And while things are getting better (easier to install and manage), it's my personal opinion that Debian, or any Debian based distro, is the best way to manage one's system. Debian and all Debian based distros are managed in the same, simple and effortlessly way. This was the tipping point for me in choosing Debian as my OS.

As suggested on another post, devote your whole machine to the distro of your choice. It's going to be difficult enough learning about Linux without learning about dual booting too. Stick to it and after a while you'll see the light. In the beginning I also used dual booting. Never did set well with me. It was not until I gave my machine over to Linux and made an effort to work with it that it finally dawn on me where I was going and how to get there.

Is Linux better than Windows? I guess it depends. For gamers, no. At least not yet. But for 99% of what most folks want to do - it's a resounding YES! I do online banking, buy things, download music, view streaming video and listing to online radio. As well as copy CDs and many other things.

Here's something to think about; while no operating system is absolutely hacker proof, Linux is the safest. I don't need any malware, trojan, worm, virus software to keep my system safe. Not at all. Just keeping that in mind should make you seriously consider using Linux. Ask yourself, how much money do I spend on security software using Windows? Or on a new MS OS if you build your own PC?

In the end, it is worth more than just a day or a week or a month of your time. Once you've got your feet wet, you'll wonder why you waited so long.

Yes, it's worth a little effort on your part. Certainly more than just a little. In the end, it's not all that hard at all. And the best part is - there are lots of folks willing to help you.

One last suggestion, being the rank newbie you are, I would suggest Linux Mint ( http://linuxmint.com/ ) or Ubuntu for your first distro. Start with Mint. You'll love it. By the way both of these distros are Debian based. Once you've got the hang of it, then you can jump into the deep end. Come on it. The waters fine.
    Thanks,
    Loopback48

Debian fanboy. And only Debian.

http://www.debiantutorials.org/

Hey LL...

THIS whole.. "Ubuntu, Debian, Suse, Fedora and others are different flavors of the same thing."
    can be a little confusing, but these and a few others are the basic sets of distros (distributions).
    There are subsets too which gets it funkier. Mepis, for example, used to devote both to Debian and Ubuntu packages but has recently given over entirely to Debian.
    I (me..an' I'm prolly older than any o' em) like Mepis the best..I think it's the most intuitive. And sort of keeps us dummies outta trouble. But use K[U]buntu too...just a little less, to me the differences are real but marginal.

Am still devoted to Windows for all the programs written for that OS.
    But will never buy another Microsoft OS...bought many. Because that's all I knew.

A comment above referencing the benefits of BOTH Windows and any Linux distro you like... was right.
    Lot of stuff written for, lot of experience with MicroSoft (MS$) but Linux
    WAY cheaper (even if you donate a bit here and there as we all try to) and WAY more versatile/powerful.
    Both is a good answer. And these folks really are sort of patient, so don't be afraid to ask.

Best wishes however you turn, but OpenSource generally (Linux et al) will take care of you but M$ will not.

So, how old are you, OP? I'm 67 and I really hate to reboot to Windows. I am not top gun on Linux, but I get by fine for my needs. I wonder if you are really as old as you imply, or if you just feel old? I'm 67, I moved to a small Third World village, and today I walked three hours over the mountains. Feel great.

Cool for you

Stayin' in shape is critical..
    Lot like taking your medicines if any..
    Gotta do it regularly.
    And life is (gets?) beautiful(er).

[Actually some older]

Today's the big day..get set to do saikee's dd dump.
    Locate the MBR, (which in this 2002 Compaq I think is early on the first disc)...
    which would happen on their proprietary 'recovery' partition.
    They use a D designation for it.
    Gonna copy it and wipe it with Parted Magic (which I love).

Then I have a clean ntfs disc to a clean ntfs partition.
    Change Mepis GRUB to root instead of MBR.
    Think it'll all work, but I'm going to print saikee's instructional
    in case everything does a ballistic.
    [But in this day I've got a backup or two machine-wise , so
    much less fraught.
    And can always reload a Linux distro/flavor, while the
    original HD remains as unaffected by all the shenanigans..
    according to our guru.
    And take out the original before rebooting, he sez.
    Wish me luck.

So thanks for your nice inquiry.
    Keep on keepin' on

Quote Originally Posted by irlandes View Post
    So, how old are you, OP? I'm 67 and I really hate to reboot to Windows. I am not top gun on Linux, but I get by fine for my needs. I wonder if you are really as old as you imply, or if you just feel old? I'm 67, I moved to a small Third World village, and today I walked three hours over the mountains. Feel great.

67?! Damn! And I thought I was an old codger. You make me feel like a young buck.
    Thanks,
    Loopback48

Debian fanboy. And only Debian.

http://www.debiantutorials.org/