compaq with libranet

Thread: compaq with libranet

compaq with libranet

Well here's my dillema. Somebody gave me an old presario pc and I wanted to use it to check out some new distros it has a400 mb amd processor 128mb ram and a 10 gb hd don't have the rest of the H.W info available right now. I dled mandriva 9. what ever, Mint8, & Crunchbang, the md5sums were correct. So I burned them using active iso burner W/verification on and they would go to the first install prompt after detecting H.W then just stop. I also tried red hat 8 mandrake9.0 and Slack8.1 these all installed but at the end of install I recieved a kernel didnt install message so Im not sure if it was the burner on the first 3 listed or a combination of that & HW the only thing I could get working was an old copy of libranet Ihad lying around that installed without a hitch. Any ideas what I should do next? Im stumped.

The real limiting factor is going to be the amount of ram you have on that system, that being said, I would give Puppy a try. Puppy is made for running with a limited amount of ram. Maybe DSL linux would be worth a try also.

Thanks for the suggestion. will try puppy though I did try to install peanut I forget the version but that didn,t work either.What I couldnt understand was that slack 8.1 & mandy9.0 wouldnt install and libranet did. BTW I used the mandrake disk to set up the partition table for the libranet install using reiserFS. Strange.

Try Damn Small Linux as well and it is like Puppy which is friendly to older PC with limited ram. Slax is another good one to try.

Linranet disappeared from the scene at the time when I join this forum in 2004.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

Ive DLed puppy- D.S.L.-gnewsense live-V.L.6.0 light-Mandy10.1-kubuntu9.04 & Mint7 I'm Gonna try em all and see what I like best & what works. I'm not on line @ home but will try to keep posting when I can. THX guys

As an update puppy and dsl weren't my cup of tea & none of the other distros would install so I was able to get Slack 8.1 to install I was just picking a wrong kernel install option at first. now running Slack 10.2 and it is running great going to install tux racer from tar tonight. Hooray another new adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by battleship View Post
    As an update puppy and dsl weren't my cup of tea & none of the other distros would install so I was able to get Slack 8.1 to install I was just picking a wrong kernel install option at first. now running Slack 10.2 and it is running great going to install tux racer from tar tonight. Hooray another new adventure.
    If you have Slackware to run on this old horse, you might consider Debian Stable (Lenny).

I don't have anything against Slackware, it's just not my cup of tea. But Debian is for a number of reasons. Among the many reasons is the easy of installing and deleting programs/apps. Synaptics or the CLI - apt-get install (appt) - is all that's needed to keep maintenance of your systen. And then there is the number of programs available.

The 128 Mb of ram is a problem in my opinion. It's always chapped my *** when folks say "Linux can run on anything". Of course that's true. But what kind of experience will you have? Probably not a very enjoyable one. But that's just my point of view.
    Thanks,
    Loopback48

Debian fanboy. And only Debian.

http://www.debiantutorials.org/

Quote Originally Posted by loopback48 View Post
    The 128 Mb of ram is a problem in my opinion. It's always chapped my *** when folks say "Linux can run on anything". Of course that's true. But what kind of experience will you have? Probably not a very enjoyable one. But that's just my point of view.
    I was a bit intimidated at first but I started looking at it as a good chance to learn. I like the fact that when installing you can go interactive so you know what is installed. Plus right now I'm not online at home so I wont get distracted web surfing. And like i said it is now running slack 10.2 and quite well, I m going to push it as far as I can next up Slack 12. I have another box running Vector 6 KDE with some extra space maybe Ill try a version of debian.