Debian testing (squeeze) java applet problem

Thread: Debian testing (squeeze) java applet problem

Debian testing (squeeze) java applet problem

Anyone out there running Debian testing/squeeze?

Is Java running in your browsers properly? I just want to make sure I'm not alone. I'm sure a recent update caused the problem. A future update will probably fix it.

Java applets have stopped working on my main desktop and laptop. The server running stable/lenny works fine. Fedora and Ubuntu installed on the laptop also work fine.

$> java -version
    java version "1.6.0_16"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_16-b01)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 14.2-b01, mixed mode, sharing)

Java applications such as JAlbum work without any problems.

Only Java applets in the browsers fail. Iceweasel, Epiphany, and Opera all fail.

It fails on my internal site.

I get the same error at Test Your Java Version

and

How do I test whether Java is working

But this one works

java tester

Thanks,

Open file /etc/sysctl.d/bindv6only.conf and set net.ipv6.bindv6only=0
    and after that do : invoke-rc.d procps restart

Hope this help !

That is the fix I currently have in place. It fixes the problem in Iceweasel and Opera. Epiphany is still broke and it seems to be a problem with the switch to webkit.

Another fix was opening Java Control Panel and adding "-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true" to the runtime parameters. This solution only seemed to help Iceweasel. Opera and Epiphany were unaffected.

Later,

I don't what to say. But all the sites that employ Java, work for me. The test links you provided don't.

I think I'll well enough alone. And yes I"m using Squeeze.
    Thanks,
    Loopback48

Debian fanboy. And only Debian.

http://www.debiantutorials.org/

I don't think java itself is an issue. Applets seem to be affected or at least certain applets that use the network to gather data. I wouldn't have noticed if I didn't have an in house web page that uses a java applet. It just stopped working.

I hadn't noticed any issues during normal browsing.

I really wanted that web page to work. Thus began the troubleshooting and research journey. I posted this thread in the early stages before I found any solutions.

It is a known issue with Debian and Ubuntu. The Epiphany issue seems to be a coincidence.

Happy New Year !

Quote Originally Posted by teeitup View Post
    I don't think java itself is an issue. Applets seem to be affected or at least certain applets that use the network to gather data. I wouldn't have noticed if I didn't have an in house web page that uses a java applet. It just stopped working.

I hadn't noticed any issues during normal browsing.

I really wanted that web page to work. Thus began the troubleshooting and research journey. I posted this thread in the early stages before I found any solutions.

It is a known issue with Debian and Ubuntu. The Epiphany issue seems to be a coincidence.

Happy New Year !
    I don't understand what you're saying. Are Java enabled sites not working for you? They are for me. And I'm using Squeeze.

On the other hand, the inks you provided are not. The test fail for me. But every other site I visit does work .I don't know what to say.
    Thanks,
    Loopback48

Debian fanboy. And only Debian.

http://www.debiantutorials.org/

How about java applet at ninjavideo web site? (google it up as i don't know the forum policy for this kind of sites)

That's where i noticed that java applets in iceweasel were not working. Also all testers for java vm were failing.
    ladoga

Maybe post/upload the web page in question.....could possibly be a configuration problem on the page.
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

A bug report is open on this issue.

Bug Report 560056

Thank you!

I wasted like 3 days installing different versions of java and it was just this silly line in the bindv6only.conf?

Bah! Thanks very much!

Talking

Thanks cqfd, i registered just to thank you for very useful info!

In order to work properly, you need to have the appropriate Java plug-in installed on your computer. To get the most recent version of the Java plug-in for your Windows computer.Macintosh users receive Java updates automatically via their software update control panel.