My Hard Disk ID is Messed Up

Thread: My Hard Disk ID is Messed Up

[Solved] My Hard Disk ID is Messed Up

On a computer that I replaced two small ide HD's with one larger ide HD, now the HD identification has changed. When I had the previous two small HD's they were identified as sda and sdb. Now with the newly install larger HD the ID is hdc.

I do not know what caused this ID change but it is now messing me up and I would like to know if there is a way to get the hdc to be sda. When it comes to HD's I know absolutely nothing.

The reason it is messing me up is because I have two computers cloned and I have to go in to grub and manually change the root path to make it work.

With gparted and clonezilla they both see hdc. But with fdisk -l it sees the HD as sda

Don't know if there is a way to fix this or not ?
    Last edited by OBnascar; 01-31-2010 at 08:33 AM.
    "I haven't lost my mind, it is backed up on disk somewhere"

Best Regards,
    OBnascar

Set grub to boot via UUID and change /etc/fstab to work by UUID as well - then ti doesn't matter what the /dev entry is...

My Hard Disk ID is Messed Up

That makes sense ph34r's. I had to get rid of the Uuid's though at one time because every time I booted into a different partition I had to do a "fsck" and using the /dev's fixed it. Never have had to "fsck" again when booting.

I am not an Uuid expert either. Isn't the problem with Uuid's is that they can change ? And then when booting multiple distros keeping up with the changing Uuid's can be a pain ? don't know......you tell me please !

Sorry, there may be a delay on my replies because I am not getting email notifications. I just checked my profile and at the bottom of my post and they all are set to "instant mail notification".....but it is not working.
    Last edited by OBnascar; 01-26-2010 at 02:42 PM.

Best Regards,
    OBnascar

[Solved}

Even though this post did not draw much interest I will still respond with the results.
    Some how I had the cables wrong on the motherboard.

Best Regards,
    OBnascar

OBnascar,

Have you resolved the problem yet?

hdc should only appear if you are using an old kernel and the hard disk is an IDE type.

Newer kernel will see the big hard disk as sda once the other two have been removed from the PC.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

UUID does not change and is created when you format the file system - so fsck shouldn't change it, but mkfs will

Quote Originally Posted by saikee View Post
    OBnascar,Have you resolved the problem yet?
    hdc should only appear if you are using an old kernel and the hard disk is an IDE type.
    Yes I did get it resolved, I had the cables wrong on the motherboard when I switched hard drives. And as you stated old kernels were at fault also.........thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ph34r View Post
    UUID does not change and is created when you format the file system - so fsck shouldn't change it, but mkfs will
    Which is worth knowing if, for example, you happen to 'format' your swap partition while installing a second distro... especially if your primary distro has quietly switched to using UUIDs in fstab. It took me a couple of weeks to figure out why everything had suddenly slowed down.
    We are free to think. We are free to plan. And we are free to do. But once an action has been taken, we are never free from its consequences.
    --Russel M. Nelson, apostle.