*buntu mix

Thread: *buntu mix

*buntu mix

Hi all, first off my machine is working beautifully. I jsut want to get a clearer picture of what is going on in my particualr case so I'll give some details and ask some questions.

My original instalation is Kubuntu (karmic)
    I then installed Ubuntu desktop packages.
    During the installation I chose KDM (window manager?) rather than GDM.
    Now I login and choose Gnome desktop environment.

This works really well but I have noticed whereas KDE was asking me to accept constant updates, Gnome hasn't ever asked for updates. I am guessing this is because I am not using it's usual window manager so update daemons aren't running. Has I got this right?

If I switch to GDM wm would this be more like a classic ubuntu environment which presumably would update its self.

Synaptic isn't listing any packages which need updating either. There must be updated by now its been a few weeks.

Like I said it all working as is but am I missing out on what I would get if I wiped and installed Kubuntu and Ubuntu as separate dual boot OSes?

I may have a look for Xubuntu packages next to see what XFCE has to offer.

Any thoughts?

kdm and gdm are display managers and not window managers. They're responsible for starting your session. Window managers are responsible for allowing you to interact with your windows on your desktop. gnome usually uses Metacity and KDE kwin(?).

As far as you not being prompted for updates, you may need to check if whatever daemon checked for updates is actually running. Unfortunately I don't have a Ubuntu install handy to check what it's called.

As a work around for now, why not use apt-get to search for updates?

In a terminal run:

apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade

this should provide you with a nice list of available updates and install them.

cheers
    Check out the Unix/Linux Administration Program at Seneca College.
    Thanx to everyone that helped/helps me on this forum!

t0mmyw on #linuxn00b

Thanks for the information, as you can tell I am enjoying myself experimenting, it's great to learn the proper terminology. Thanks for the commands for updating too. Using XFCE right now, probably stick with gnome though.

Yeah XFCE, I like it, I will be sticking with Gnome for the time being but it's good to know it's there. Three different UIs on one OS that's awsome.

FYI:

I just upgraded to Lucid using the "normal" gnome based ubuntu, but then apt-got installed xfce4.

I tried a direct install of xubuntu but it just wasn't the same for some reason.

Anyway, on my netbook which I keep bragging about, Ubuntu+xfce4+compiz+gnome-do=happybunny is happy!

Quote Originally Posted by happybunny View Post
    FYI:

I just upgraded to Lucid using the "normal" gnome based ubuntu, but then apt-got installed xfce4.

I tried a direct install of xubuntu but it just wasn't the same for some reason.

Anyway, on my netbook which I keep bragging about, Ubuntu+xfce4+compiz+gnome-do=happybunny is happy!
    I'm tempted to do a pure ubuntu install but I've put a lot of work into getting my lappy into a state where everything I need is installed. Maybe I'll wait for lucid and start again. We'll see.

So Bunny which do you boot into most often?

For update notifications you need the update-notifier running. You can do
    Code:
    ps -A |grep update-notifier
    in a terminal to check if it is running or not.

A normal Ubuntu install with Gnome should have a startup entry for this. You can go into System->Preferences->Startup Applications and look for an "Update Notifier" entry, if you need to add it yourself the command it runs is "update-notifier --startup-delay=60".

Hope this helps.

So Bunny which do you boot into most often?
    XFCE4

which you can read about here http://justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152298

Thanks for the info, yeah update-notifier was running, mabe there just havn't been updates. I am used to seeing them really often in KDE.

While I am here I was going to ask how to tell if I am running GDM or KDM and how to switch between them? I chose KDM when I installed the ubuntu desktop but now I am not sure. Is there any point in changing also?