32 or 64 bit architecture

Thread: 32 or 64 bit architecture

32 or 64 bit architecture

Which architecture to use with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor? Thanks for the help.
    Linux - the O/S of the GNU Millenium

People's Republic of North America (Former United States)
    Because it's a Core 2 Duo, I'd use 64 bit. You'll have the advantage of being able to use more memory. I'd either go with CentOS or Ubuntu.
    I equivocate, therefore I might be.

My Linux/Unix Boxes:
    Home: Slackware 10, CentOS 5.3, RHEL 5, Ubuntu Workstation 9.10, Work: RHEL 5, CentOS 5

I'd stick with the 32 bit OS. If for no other reason than some apps are not available for the 64 bit OS. It's possible to get the apps to work with the 64 bit OS but not without much hoop jumping.

True, a 64 bit OS will make multitasking more efficient. But really dude, how many folks at home do multitasking. That's something I did at work. But not at home. The efficient use of RAM? Another plus for 64 bit OS. Again, most folks have more that enough of that so no problems crop up.

It'll be sometime before I go over to a 64 bit OS. No need for it now. Even in Windows. Not unless you want to try it out. I just don't see the benefit.
    Thanks,
    Loopback48

Debian fanboy. And only Debian.

http://www.debiantutorials.org/

People's Republic of North America (Former United States)
    It definitely depends on what you use the box for. I use one for a VMware server, so I'm loaded with 32 gig of RAM and two terabytes of storage.
    I equivocate, therefore I might be.

My Linux/Unix Boxes:
    Home: Slackware 10, CentOS 5.3, RHEL 5, Ubuntu Workstation 9.10, Work: RHEL 5, CentOS 5