Still can't get Slackware online with new modem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still can't get Slackware online with new modem

Still can't get Slackware online with new modem

A couple of months ago, I replaced a broken down modem for my DSL connection. I've learned time and again that Verizon is completely of no help to Linux customers, and so any problems I ever experience, I''m pretty much on my own. These days, I am running no windows whatsoever. Previously, when I got a new modem I would run verizon's windows software to set up the modem for DHCP, and then any distro I chose to run wo0uld connect automatically.

Well, without the ability to run windows, it's a lot more problematic. I have only managed to get some debian-based distros online by running an application called pppoeconf or pppoe-config. No slackware, and since a few months ago I released my own live CD that's based on Slax, this is embarassing and frustrating to say the least. DNS, pppoe, TCP/IP... this is not my thing.

Now I've got Slackware 13 installed, and I've been running netconfig and pppoe-setup, and according to the results I get when I run pppoe-status, I should be online :

SIGH. And here is where I was supposed to have posted the results of my non-error messsage, but I don't seem to have saved it from the last time I was loggen into slackware. Looks like I'll have to do it again. I'll get back to you guys...

Which modem do you have? Is it an ethernet based one? Or one of those ****ty USB things?
    Feel free to PM me for help

Using PCLinuxos 2007 on my laptop and 2009 on my Desktop and proud of it!

Desktop:
    AMD Phenom II x2 545 3GB DDR2 RAM 500GB SATA,250GB SATA, 250GB IDE, ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 DDR3
    Laptop:
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 (2.2) 2GB RAM, 160GB Sata HDD, nVidia 8600GM 512MB

Please come back and tell us if your problem is solved, it may help others, and stop us from wondering what happened.

Check your nic card in "lspci" then check your "lsmod" for that card. Post results. I'm going to assume this is Slack 13.
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

ummm, why don't you bridge the modem and use a router? That's what I always did when I had dsl.
    Linux user #367409

That's my setup now (wireles router and I will say its easier, but if no router then ther are other ways to do this....believe me I had the same problems with the same setup as blackbelt....it's doable.
    to be out that long."

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    That's my setup now (wireles router and I will say its easier, but if no router then ther are other ways to do this....believe me I had the same problems with the same setup as blackbelt....it's doable.
    It's always doable, isn't it? That's the beauty part.

Well, the modem is ethernet based, a Westell 327W. I do have a router, so lets see if that works...

Yea if you have a router go that direction.....when I used my modem only I had to use a differnt module for my nic card than the standard it loaded, with my router it reverted to the standard module for my card. Go figure!
    to be out that long."

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    Yea if you have a router go that direction.....when I used my modem only I had to use a differnt module for my nic card than the standard it loaded, with my router it reverted to the standard module for my card. Go figure!
    Well, I'm still stuck, because I don't know what it means to "bridge" the modem, and when i looked it up, it referred to concepts that I had never heard of, like "logging onto" the modem. Once again a new world of stuff I know nothing about is opening up, very very slowly.

I guess I want to learn this, though I guess there's nothing wrong with *ubuntu, so I'm just going top take my time.

Tried installing a bootleg Windows XP just for the modem setup, but the resolution on Verizon's softeare appears to be whacked. I can only see about a third of the page , so I can't tell what button I'm clicking on. God, I hate verizon.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbelt_jones View Post
    Well, I'm still stuck, because I don't know what it means to "bridge" the modem, and when i looked it up, it referred to concepts that I had never heard of, like "logging onto" the modem. Once again a new world of stuff I know nothing about is opening up, very very slowly.

I guess I want to learn this, though I guess there's nothing wrong with *ubuntu, so I'm just going top take my time.

Tried installing a bootleg Windows XP just for the modem setup, but the resolution on Verizon's softeare appears to be whacked. I can only see about a third of the page , so I can't tell what button I'm clicking on. God, I hate verizon.

Assume in your Googling, you cam across this link; http://www.techsupportforum.com/netw...rs-rt31p2.html

You want to read what b3by says. I also assume you want to put it in bridge mode because you have another router you prefer to use. If so then obviously said modem will need to be able to do PPPoE or whatever crap Verizon uses.
    Last edited by stumbles; 04-07-2010 at 08:36 PM.
    You can tuna piano, but you can't tune a fish.

http://www.lunar-linux.org/
    It's worth the spin.

http://www.pclinuxos.com/page.php?7
    Puts the rest to shame.

Bridging a modem just means turning off the dhcp server it has on it... your modem is just a modem.
    What IP is your modem giving your pc? If you're getting a 169.254.x.x IP that means your modem is most likely bridged already. Just put a router in there and use that to make the PPPoE connection. It's EASY.
    Linux user #367409

if you have a router, hook yourself directly to the router, log into the router with the admin login, goto the DHCP section, chage it from STATIC/DHCP to PPPoE and plug up the modem, reboot both modem and router so they sync up, plug up the nic to port1 on the router and check your ip.

these are just standard help instructions.

hope it helps.

Matt
    registered Linux user number 371609

SaBaYoN LiNuX DoWnLoAd NoW

Zip Ties = Reef Duck Tape

If guns kill people, then...

Pencils mis-speel...
    Cars make people drive drunk...
    Spoons make people fat...

Follow your routers setup instructions.....to login into your admin account you shoule be able to access it normally through your browser by the address 192.169.0.1.......then proceed with the setup for PPPOE.....you will need your DSL login info. Follow the instructions outlined by mmills and you should be good to go. This setup will automatically get you online during the boot process.
    to be out that long."

Quote Originally Posted by infiniphunk View Post
    Bridging a modem just means turning off the dhcp server it has on it... your modem is just a modem.
    What IP is your modem giving your pc? If you're getting a 169.254.x.x IP that means your modem is most likely bridged already. Just put a router in there and use that to make the PPPoE connection. It's EASY.
    Well no, bridging a modem does not mean you have turned it into "just a modem". On the contrary, when bridged it acts as a device that connects two ethernet segments together. Think of it like a BNC barrel connector, in a similar way the bridge just passes ethernet addreess on Layer 2.

I had a Westel something or other when on DSL an had it in bridge mode. When in this mode you could not even access it via its 192.168.1.1 to reconfigure it, you had to perform a reset. Which was fine because I wanted to use my WRT54G to handle the PPPoE.
    You can tuna piano, but you can't tune a fish.

http://www.lunar-linux.org/
    It's worth the spin.

http://www.pclinuxos.com/page.php?7
    Puts the rest to shame.

Interestingly, pppoe-setup works just fine with the slackware derived Vector Linux Light, which I am running right now, and THAT makes me wonder why i never even tried it with Kiara, my slax-based live CD. Guess that's next. Still want to get Slackware running, though.

Thanks for the help. I've got a whole pack of issues that I've been putting off dealing with, and that's just one. Another is that I'm getting a mess of crashes with the more recent releases. (opensuse, kubuntu, sidux, *buntu) I'll start that thread pretty soon.

Quote Originally Posted by stumbles View Post
    Well no, bridging a modem does not mean you have turned it into "just a modem". On the contrary, when bridged it acts as a device that connects two ethernet segments together. Think of it like a BNC barrel connector, in a similar way the bridge just passes ethernet addreess on Layer 2.
    No you're wrong, bridging a modem means turning off its ethernet routing ability. This is why when a modem isn't bridged, it typically gives a 192.168.0.1 type address. That's why once your modem is bridged it's no longer assigning an ip to your pc. And also precisely why people log into these modems and follow the little rigamarole, which will involve turning of its dhcp server.
    I've done this a million times for people, mostly on XP when people wanted to make a broadband dsl connection and not get error 678.

At any rate...
    from what I understand Blackbelt wants to test Slackware's PPPoE connecting software.
    Don't you just have Network Manager Applet? You should be able to just go there and set up your dsl connection; Edit Connections>DSL tab at the right>Add button to set up your dsl connection. It will come up 'Editing DSL Connection 1'

Can't you just get high-speed cable there? jeez
    Linux user #367409