A couple of months ago, I replaced a broken down modem for my DSL connection. I've learned time and again that Verizon is completely of no help to Linux customers, and so any problems I ever experience, I''m pretty much on my own. These days, I am running no windows whatsoever. Previously, when I got a new modem I would run verizon's windows software to set up the modem for DHCP, and then any distro I chose to run wo0uld connect automatically.

Well, without the ability to run windows, it's a lot more problematic. I have only managed to get some debian-based distros online by running an application called pppoeconf or pppoe-config. No slackware, and since a few months ago I released my own live CD that's based on Slax, this is embarassing and frustrating to say the least. DNS, pppoe, TCP/IP... this is not my thing.

Now I've got Slackware 13 installed, and I've been running netconfig and pppoe-setup, and according to the results I get when I run pppoe-status, I should be online :

SIGH. And here is where I was supposed to have posted the results of my non-error messsage, but I don't seem to have saved it from the last time I was loggen into slackware. Looks like I'll have to do it again. I'll get back to you guys...