Choosing a Linux distro for new webserver

Thread: Choosing a Linux distro for new webserver

Choosing a Linux distro for new webserver

Hello friends,
    I order a new 1U server (X3430, 4GB RAM, 2 x 500 SATA HD).
    This server will host my projects (about 10) and more projects (about 100).
    I'm working with almost all major Linux distros (RHEL, CentOS, Fedora, OpenSuSE, Ubuntu, gentoo, Mint, Debian, zLinux and more....) but it's always my customers servers not mine.

So, I'm wandering which Linux distro will be the best for running as an Apache Web Server, PHP, MySQL? gentoo, debian or the simple CentOS?
    I need a reliable system, good speed and performance and security.

Please advise, which Linux distro is the one for a Web servers?

Thanks.
    Miki

I would personally recommend some Debian/Ubuntu distro but that's just because they happen to be my favorite. It's just insanely easy to get apache installed with all of the goodies and get up and running in no time. I'm pretty sure this should cover it:

Code:
    # sudo apt-get install apache2 php5-mysql libapache2-mod-php5 mysql-server
    After that you should be all set. By default the install will also include the Suhosin patch. I know some people say it causes problems but I am running PHP5 and MySQL on my system and I have never noticed any issues with it.

Configure it to run with Xfce or fluxbox or something like that and it will run even leaner than gnome/KDE. Heck, you can even disable the X server entirely if you want.
    "The author of that poem is either Homer or, if not Homer, somebody else of the same name."

Second Debian, but I'm biased. Unless the maintainers/developers for Debian start smoking crack and trash the distro, I don't see myself ever changing. It is rock solid (my servers have uptimes since Katrina), and while the initial install can be intimidating to the uninitiated, I haven't found an easier distro to maintain.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

Centos is best distro for webserver.
    Currently we are using centos on all servers. It's stable, scalable ... with big site, and lager traffic.

I'd run Lunar-Linux.
    You can tuna piano, but you can't tune a fish.

http://www.lunar-linux.org/
    It's worth the spin.

http://www.pclinuxos.com/page.php?7
    Puts the rest to shame.

I run Debian on my server and Gentoo on my desktops.