need a barebones version of LINUX

Thread: need a barebones version of LINUX

Question need a barebones version of LINUX

Hello, I need help creating a barebones version of linux that has just python & QT on a frame buffer, which only runs on 16mb of ram & can be loaded on a 32mb flash drive. Is this even possible???

I don't know if it is possible, you haven't really got a lot of RAM to work with. You probably want to look to Linux From Scratch for a guide on building your own custom barebones Linux. You may also want to look at Tiny Core Linux which is only 10MB in size or perhaps the smaller variant from the same site Micro Core Linux which is only 6MB, however they are configured to run from RAM, which you don't want with such a limited amount available, and there minimum RAM requirements (48MB for Tiny Core and 36MB for Micro Core) are somewhat higher than you have to work with, but they may still yield something useful for putting together something that will work for you.

Red face oh so close

Quote Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
    I don't know if it is possible, you haven't really got a lot of RAM to work with. You probably want to look to Linux From Scratch for a guide on building your own custom barebones Linux. You may also want to look at Tiny Core Linux which is only 10MB in size or perhaps the smaller variant from the same site Micro Core Linux which is only 6MB, however they are configured to run from RAM, which you don't want with such a limited amount available, and there minimum RAM requirements (48MB for Tiny Core and 36MB for Micro Core) are somewhat higher than you have to work with, but they may still yield something useful for putting together something that will work for you.
    retsaw, thanks for the quick follow-up. I didn't correctly input the actual specs. I have a unit w/ 32 MB of RAM & 16 MB of HD space. I guess I need a bit more RAM
    Thanks again.

More ram or a bigger drive then make some swap space.
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    More ram or a bigger drive then make some swap space.
    In a perfect world that would work, but my situation doesn't allow this. I have a handheld LED device from compact. Just trying to find a way to make the thing do what I want it to do

Without knowing more about the hardware it is impossible to say whether one can install linux on your device. Of course it could be running one already but no generic x86 distribution is going to work. It would have to be an embedded version cross compiled for your device's particular processor and It would also need unique modules specific to the hardware.

What is the model number? Have you googled to see if anyone has already tried to install linux on your device?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by michaelk View Post
    Without knowing more about the hardware it is impossible to say whether one can install linux on your device. Of course it could be running one already but no generic x86 distribution is going to work. It would have to be an embedded version cross compiled for your device's particular processor and It would also need unique modules specific to the hardware.

What is the model number? Have you googled to see if anyone has already tried to install linux on your device?
    No I haven't, but I will take your suggestion. Thanks 4 all suggestions & Ideas!!!
    Last edited by robdog; 05-24-2010 at 11:24 AM.

Okay, with 32MB you're only just under the minimum requirement for Micro Core, if you could hack it so it runs from your flash drive rather than RAM, then you should be able to get it working. This is of course assuming your device is running an x86 processor, you didn't say.

Alternatively, another option is OpenWRT, it runs on various architectures and despite being a router OS can support a GUI, as evidenced by this device which uses OpenWRT and only has 32MB RAM.
    Last edited by retsaw; 05-24-2010 at 01:16 PM.

The OP does seem to be avoiding answering any specific questions about the hardware.
    Last edited by michaelk; 05-24-2010 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robdog View Post
    In a perfect world that would work, but my situation doesn't allow this. I have a handheld LED device from compact. Just trying to find a way to make the thing do what I want it to do
    Possibly you meant LCD display from Compaq???

http://www.handhelds.org/handhelds-f...helds-faq.html
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

Thumbs up right on that

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    Possibly you meant LCD display from Compaq???

http://www.handhelds.org/handhelds-f...helds-faq.html
    Yes, that is it.