Which Linux Distribution Should I use? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Linux Distribution Should I use?

I Think it depends on your level of expertise in linux. I am a newcomer to the linux world and I think you have to answer your self the following

a)Do you feel comfortable with a non graphical Os installation procedure? If you do not, some distros like slackware are not for you. Usually Ubuntu and their derivatives have a simple step by step installation (7 steps). Debian, it has a graphical installer but has some questions that a newbie like me did not get the first time. The same goes for OpenSuse and Fedora. Mandriva is also easy to Install. You can Check also Linux Mint, since it is a derivative of Ubuntu it has the same 7 steps installation.

b) Do you want something the most like windows (just the appearance)? Then you must try a KDE version of the distro of your likings. I found Mint KDE really nice and responsive.

c) The included apps and application manager. This one you have to consider that in the linux world installing an app is nothing like in windows, and some applications managers are less friendly than others (yast, for instance). I really like ubuntu's and their derivatives app mannager, debian fesora and mandriva have good ones too.

d) You have to consider also the supporting community (forums, mailing lists, etc)

Hope it did not make it more confusing for you

Big Olmec Head

Based on you machine specs you can try Xubuntu, light weight version of Ubuntu