Mythofsoma + wine?

Thread: Mythofsoma + wine?

Mythofsoma + wine?

Years ago, I use to play a game called Mythofasoma..... which eventually cosed down. But now there is a new site up called mythofesoma.net where there is a few people working on the game, fixing bugs, and adding new features, with a plan to re-release the game.

They have a test server online, so I downloaded the game, and all the patches that i need to run, but I can't get the game to run. I have used winetricks to install visual c runtime library and direct 3d but still no luck.

Has anyone else here had any luck with this game. Im guessing im the only one trying as its a relatively small community of people trying the game at the moment.
    OssT - Torrents for Open Source Software
    We mirror Terabytes worth of data and offer it as downloadable torrents seeded by our 100mbps servers.

Haven't heard of that game before, but some general things to look over that may help:

General Wine Config Guide
    Configuring Wine specifically for Games (Read all 5 pages)
    Cedega is an extension of Wine, configured for games. Check their list of supported games to see if it would interest you (didn't see your game in particular).
    • If Wine and Cedega fail, try virtualization instead of emulation with either VMWare or VirtualBox (will need to install DirectX within your virtual Windows).

Sorry I couldn't be much more of help. Games have been a thorn in the side of Linux for sometime now with the way DirectX is a proprietary (and ever changing) format owned by Microsoft. In my case, I've just settled for a small Windows partition and dual boot when I want to play a game. Best of luck to you.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

Hey,

Thanks for the reply..... I managed to get it working in the end. Although the performance is really slow. I am quite surprised, because its not a very resource intensive game... I use to play it on a 500mhz machine with 512MB ram, so i thought an amd athlon 64 2400+ with 2GB of ram would have run it ok in wine.

I think it may be something to do with my nvidia driver. I will install the linux version of UT2004 and see if my 3d rendering is setup correctly.
    OssT - Torrents for Open Source Software
    We mirror Terabytes worth of data and offer it as downloadable torrents seeded by our 100mbps servers.

Another nice Wine app to try is http://playonlinux.com which has a nice setup letting you run customized instances of Wine per application similar to how Cedega does it. That way you can mess around with the wine settings for one app without jacking up your entire installation.

also
    Quickest way to see if 3D Rendering is working is run glxinfo and grep for the render
    Code:
    glxinfo | grep direct
    direct rendering: Yes
    If it says no you'll need to find out why. Though UT2004 is a good test, I still play that one all the time
    Last edited by Icarus; 08-23-2010 at 04:26 PM.