OpenSuSE 11.3 and VMWare... new Distro same old problem!

Thread: OpenSuSE 11.3 and VMWare... new Distro same old problem!

OpenSuSE 11.3 and VMWare... new Distro same old problem!

So... I had to upgrade to OpenSuSE 11.3 (it's a work station at work... I make $$$ with it) and part of my job requires me to use Windows, which I do via VMWare.

So this is a complete fresh install. Wiped the old OpenSuSE 11.0 clean and started all over. Things went relatively smooth (all 3 raid devices were found and mounted correctly, all hard ware configured and works, even the sound now is functional!)

But when I try to run VMWare I get this old message...

"Before you can run VMware Player, several modules must be compiled and loaded into the running kernel."

There is more but in a nut shell it tells me to go to my distributions documentation. I have installed all the correct files using YaST, I have perused the web looking for a solution (still looking!) and pretty much am at my wits end.

Like I said this is a clean install to replace OpenSuSE 11.0. Where are the doggone kernel headers and how do I get the VMware kernel module updater to see them?
    One by one the penguins steal my sanity...

Vanpooling now...

More information and blood pressure on the rise...

uname -a
    Linux dhcp-9-112 2.6.34-12-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT 2010-06-29 02:39:08 +0200 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

What am I looking for exactly?

Vanpooling now...

Dell Vostro 420
    Intel Quad Core CPU 3.0Ghz
    8GB RAM
    nVidia Dual DVI 512MB graphics
    OpenSuSE 11.3 x64

Still no VMware... bump for austerity.

Is there a place where I can find the version.h file and place it where it needs to be? It seems to me to be the only solution I haven't tried yet. I have checked all the other solutions I have found on the interweb and still no VMware...

Anyone have a version.h file for kernel; version kernel-desktop-2.6.34-12.3.x86_64?

Oh and here...
    rpm -qa | grep kernel
    kernel-default-base-2.6.34-12.3.x86_64
    kernel-desktop-2.6.34-12.3.x86_64
    kernel-devel-2.6.34-12.3.noarch
    kernel-source-2.6.34-12.3.noarch
    kernel-desktop-devel-2.6.34-12.3.x86_64

Vanpooling now...

Finally... found this script for any others that are suffering this nightmare...

Code:
    cd ~
    rm -rf vmware-modules
    mkdir vmware-modules
    cd vmware-modules
    find /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source -name "*.tar" -exec tar xf '{}' \;
    mkdir -p /lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc
    rm -f /lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc/{vmblock.ko,vmci.ko,vmmon.ko,vmnet.ko,vsock.ko}
    cd vmblock-only; make; cd ..; cp -p vmblock.o /lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc/vmblock.ko
    cd vmci-only; make; cd ..; cp -p vmci.o /lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc/vmci.ko
    cd vmmon-only; make; cd ..; cp -p vmmon.o /lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc/vmmon.ko
    cd vmnet-only; make; cd ..; cp -p vmnet.o /lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc/vmnet.ko
    #cd vmppuser-only; make; cd ..; cp -p vmppuser.o /lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc/vmppuser.ko
    cd vsock-only; make; cd ..; cp -p vsock.o /lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc/vsock.ko
    depmod -a
    service vmware restart
    #If a new install, remove the not_configured tag or the error will keep coming back
    rm -f /etc/vmware/not_configured
    Source... http://forums.opensuse.org/english/g...-11-3-a-2.html

Vanpooling now...