Helping Roku connect to netgear wnr854t wired

Thread: Helping Roku connect to netgear wnr854t wired

Question Helping Roku connect to netgear wnr854t wired

Hi--

My set up:
    Roku digital video player n1050 (it does not look like the ones in the manuals I have found online, and there was no manual in the box--this only has the red, white and yellow jacks on the back, plus the places to plug in the ethernet and power cables; reset is on the bottom)

Wired network
    Netgear wnr854t
    Router assigns ipaddresses to devices attached to it
    Production environment
    7 computers regularly access this network wired
    1 additional computer regularly accesses this network both wired and wireless
    I am posting this going through this router, so you can see it is working

Symptoms:
    Power up Roku with ethernet connected
    In set up, I chose wired connection
    Roku finds the ethernet cable
    Roku cannot find the local network and stops
    Router can see the Roku box, and says it is attached as 192.168.0.7
    I can successfully ping the Roku box, but not ssh into it.
    I can telnet into the Roku box using telnet 192.168.0.7 8080, but I do not see anything I can do from there.

Can you help me get this Roku box connected to my network, please?

Thanks!

PS: I am guessing it might have something to do with port forwarding or port triggering, but I am about at the limit of my networking knowledge!
    Last edited by dgermann; 08-28-2010 at 02:07 PM.
    :-Doug.

Smile

Hi--

To report back how I got it working:

Roku's site was not helpful, nor have I gotten any help from the community boards.

I did get lots of help from the boards at http://forum1.netgear.com/

What initially worked for me was to go to the router's control pages and see where the roku was showing up. From there in the router's control pages I set up a static route to the roku. That got it working. I thought fine.

A couple days later Roku tech support finally answered my email and said that A. the thing to do was to reboot all three: cable modem, router, and roku; and B. there was no way to set up a static ip on the roku.

I experimented and first disabled and then completely removed the static route. Still the roku works.

Theory: when I set up the static route, the router goes through some magic process that takes about a minute. That might be the equivalent of rebooting the router. Someplace in all this I did reboot the cable modem. And of course I was constantly rebooting the roku.

So I suspect their method worked--simply reboot everything.
    :-Doug.