No Bootsplash in Ubuntu 10.04?

Thread: No Bootsplash in Ubuntu 10.04?

No Bootsplash in Ubuntu 10.04?

Hey I have installed Ubuntu 10.04. But I don't have a 'bootsplash'/start up screen like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhmr3GAGO8w

All I have is a blank screen. How do I fix it? Shouldn't it just be there by default? Do I need to install anything extra, like usplash or something?

Also exactly what Google apps are available for Linux/Ubuntu now? I read somewhere Google Desktop Search was available. This would rock, as having tried Beagle in the past and not having been all that impressed with it (it lacked the feel of real OS level integration and always just seemed to run like a separate app.), I would be hopeful that Google Desktop search would work a bit better.

Has anyone tied it? What's your view? Now that Mac and Windows both have advanced Desktop search integration, it seems that search (or specifically pre-built-in integrated search) is one area where Gnome is still seriously lacking.
    Abit Nforce 7 S 3000+ XP CPU, 512MB Corsair PC 2700 Ram, 360 Gig (2x60, 1x 120 internal 1 x 120 external USB2) HDD, SI 133 Raid Radeon 9800XT Graphics Card, 24x10x40 Lite-On CDRW, Pioneer 105 DVD-R, Audigy 2.0 Sound Card 550W PSU, 19 inch Samsung Monitor.

I believe it is to do with the way you install Ubuntu. It is just the log in screen. You might have opted for booting Ubuntu without using a password.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

Are you talking about the screen with the word Ubuntu on it and the five little dots? If so, I don't seem to get that screen at startup either. Though oddly enough it seems to display it at shutdown. Instead, I just have a black screen with a white cursor in the upper-left corner. Then suddenly -- POOF! I'm at the gdm (logon) screen.

I don't use any of those desktop apps so I don't know how they work.
    "The author of that poem is either Homer or, if not Homer, somebody else of the same name."

If you want to have the traditional grub boot up menu, you need to edit
    /etc/default/grub find the line that looks like this

Code:
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
    and change the last part to -1 so the line looks like this

Code:
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=-1
    You could also comment out the line, but the clean way it to change from 0 to -1

EDIT: After editing the file you will need to run the command sudo update-grub Grub2 is like Lilo in that you can update it on the fly.
    Last edited by mrrangerman43; 09-11-2010 at 12:40 PM. Reason: add info