Ubuntu and forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu and forums

Ubuntu and forums

Is any Justlinux member also a member of Ubuntu Forums?
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

I am, but its a recent account.

I am. But I haven't done anything over there in a while.

Heck, haven't done much here in a while either... except with folding stuff.

And where's je_fro?
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

I thought I made a mistake once, but, of course, I was mistaken.

I keep my membership but really have done nothing with it. Should be a good source of information.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

The reason I ask is that I don't have a good impression of the somewhat restrictive environment. It doesn't seem to be in keeping with the so-called projected Ubuntu vision. It's the first time I have almost uninstalled an operating system due to forum moderators. I don't rant very often, but I might make an exception on this subject.
    to be out that long."

I haven't posted there in years and most of my questions are already asked/answered here or at FGO

i hate to see a good resource go bad with bad moderators

I was accused of zealotry because I recommend an application as a dual boot alternate to Grub2 to a newbie, then I had a fixation because I stood my ground on the definition of a partition....both from moderators. I told them both to refer to an English dictionary if it was not their first language as both had slightly negative connotations. if they were going to moderate the should brush up on their communication skills. Another thing......you definitely do not go against the Ubuntu Religion.....you know me I've used Slackware for years and the first thing I suggest is to edit some configuration, but not according to the Ubuntu creed. First suggestion should be a GUI......then horror of horrorss commandline to a noob. The list is endless. Don't get me wrong....there are some great people over there.....but the place needs a little guidance.
    to be out that long."

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    I was accused of zealotry because I recommend an application as a dual boot alternate to Grub2 to a newbie, then I had a fixation because I stood my ground on the definition of a partition....both from moderators. I told them both to refer to an English dictionary if it was not their first language as both had slightly negative connotations. if they were going to moderate the should brush up on their communication skills. Another thing......you definitely do not go against the Ubuntu Religion.....you know me I've used Slackware for years and the first thing I suggest is to edit some configuration, but not according to the Ubuntu creed. First suggestion should be a GUI......then horror of horrorss commandline to a noob. The list is endless. Don't get me wrong....there are some great people over there.....but the place needs a little guidance.
    That sounds pretty crazy...care to link us to the thread? I'm not trying to play devil's advocate here or anything, but there are two sides to every story. You may have felt attacked but maybe nobody else got that vibe? I don't know...

I have posted over there a bit since it's specific to Ubuntu and haven't noticed anything over the line by the moderators. I do think at least one of their rules is silly though -- you cannot tell others how to enable root logins. Anyone with half a brain can just go to google and type "enable root ubuntu" or some similar search terms so I don't understand what the problem is. In that respect I guess that's the so called "Ubuntu Religion" kicking in. Ubuntu makes people use sudo by default and that's fine. But (in my opinion) Linux is supposed to be about choice, control, and knowledge of your OS. Being unable to share knowledge seems a bit ridiculous and counter-intuitive.

P.S. Most of the people there are total Linux newbies which is probably why they don't recommend the command line as often, but you shouldn't be crucified for suggesting it! Learning how to accomplish things from a command line is incredibly useful! I <3 shell scripts -- it makes my job SOOOOO much easier!
    "The author of that poem is either Homer or, if not Homer, somebody else of the same name."

I'd have to dig some to get links...it's not that I felt attacked...it's more like I felt don't talk to me like a FN noob dude...in fact it seems they treat the noobs with kid gloves, so as not to scare them off. The first time i suggested to someone to edit a config file I was told it was preferable to instruct new users to use the GUI as the terminal could be too confusing. it's not that it happens frequently...it's that it happens at all. I guess I'm just getting too old for this crap. He,he...jumping from the world of Slackware to flUbuntu didn't help either.
    to be out that long."

Yep Slackware is for the users who like to get the hand dirty which to me is the way to learn Linux.

Clicking the mouse only is for the Windows users.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

I don't have an account, but have read a few post when I'm google'ing a solution to a problem. I usually can find all I need with google, with the occasional post here (except for the AWK post no one responded too. *wink* *wink*).

I used to be into trying out all the new distro's that came out. At the time, though, each had it's cavet - such as installed but no sound, installed but needed video config editing, won't install without hex of hard drive location passed at prompt, etc. However, now-a-days, I find everything I need in one - Debian. I can run Sid on my desktop and get the latest and greatest to work fine, and can keep my aging server with years of uptime on stable.

I'm not trying to discredit Ubuntu, it's great for sending new people too, but I've found everything I need so have no drive/desire to try new distros when I can load all the same software on Debian.

Ubuntu, in being the 'user friendly' distro for the masses, will of course treat their noobs with special gloves IMHO. It is needed if the true quest is to be noob friendly above all else (non-noobs can move on in theory), as there are many people who are used to pre-installed Windows and nothing else. However, if the mod felt a non-GUI approach is too non-noob friendly, a PM would be better suggesting such and not calling you out in public, as really both work - it's a matter of choice. Or actually instead of putting any negative attitude towards you, could of simply offered the GUI version of a response as an alternative.

I'm not sure how I feel about a distro in noob-friendly priority mode. I mean making things easier is always a good thing. Making things less secure or less stable to make it easier to use, has a cost/benefit analysis that needs to be done. A less stable, but more broad approach may be a bad idea for a server but a good idea for a live cd that needs to boot as much as it can (for example).
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

Ubuntu (african word for): the closest thing to Linux I could get my wife to try.
    to be out that long."

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    Ubuntu (african word for): the closest thing to Linux I could get my wife to try.
    I laughed... I lucked out and finally convinced my SO to go to Linux after her credit card info was stolen (again). Since she is the type to have someone else do the install/maintenance, I put Debian Testing on there. Figured it was more up-to-date than Stable, but wouldn't break as easily as Sid when her auto-update script fired.

The parents on the other hand... I can't break from Windows, but they are the type if I am in the area and visit they have a VCR with the clock blinking needing to be set. I didn't really have high hopes of teaching them anything new in the tech world.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

My Mother-in-Law is so technically challenged that she will wait untill the electricity goes off again in hopes that the clock will restart with the correct time when it comes back on.
    to be out that long."

Quote Originally Posted by trilarian View Post

I'm not sure how I feel about a distro in noob-friendly priority mode. I mean making things easier is always a good thing. Making things less secure or less stable to make it easier to use, has a cost/benefit analysis that needs to be done. A less stable, but more broad approach may be a bad idea for a server but a good idea for a live cd that needs to boot as much as it can (for example).
    That's an easy answer; always err on the side of stability and security. IMO Ubuntu follows to closely the mindset of Microsoft making it easy at the cost of security and stability. It's the main reason I never recommend Ubuntu to anyone, even a newbie.
    You can tuna piano, but you can't tune a fish.

http://www.lunar-linux.org/
    It's worth the spin.

http://www.pclinuxos.com/page.php?7
    Puts the rest to shame.