Anyone know any decentralized audio streaming software?

Thread: Anyone know any decentralized audio streaming software?

Anyone know any decentralized audio streaming software?

I was wondering if anyone knew of any [client] software that takes an audio stream from an input - the mic - samples it, optionally codes it with a codec, and then packetize it to send over the network to an IP address and port number.

And on the same machine and other machines can be [server] software listening on a port that would take any packets arriving on that port from another IP address, depacketize it, optionally decode it, and output it - to the speaker.

I'm trying to allow voice over a MANET / Mesh network in a cave, with no outside connection, so can't rely on logging in to other nets or server based VoIP.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Pulse Audio can take sound from an input on one machine to output on another. I don't know if it compresses the sound in between though.
    We are free to think. We are free to plan. And we are free to do. But once an action has been taken, we are never free from its consequences.
    --Russel M. Nelson, apostle.

VLC can do this. In fact, I use VLC to grab audio, video or both, encode it to mp4, and send it off to a darwin streaming server (F/OSS of Quicktime streaming server from apple) which then sends it on to The World.

Thanks TheCatMan and ph34r,

I just wasn't sure where to look. I'll look at both. The command line route is what we need as we'll be running a recent Fedora on little nodes with no screen ultimately. I'll start from there.