Hard drive management

Thread: Hard drive management

Hard drive management

Ok i just bought a used HP server and installed Ubuntu desktop on it. After installing Samba my windows computer's can read and write to one of the hard drives. The server came with 2 scsi hard drives but i cant seem to figure out how to have access to the second hard drive from my windows computer. Not sure if there is a setting in Samba that will allow me to do this or if i will have to change raid settings in my bios or what i am going to need to do. If anyone can give me a starting point for what i need to even start looking for it would be greatly appreciated.

Also i have very little experience with Ubuntu so please do not assume that i will know something. I am trying to learn it as i go but i have only been running it for a week now so have not had that much time with it.

1) As this is a server it probably has hardware raid per default. (With 2 disks = Raid 1, aka mirroring.)
    This means you never see the second disk, the 2 disks are always identical, mirroring is handled by hardware.
    If you can access & use both disks in Ubuntu then you do not have raid - continue to 2.

2) Assuming you have 2 disks you can use, you need to setup partitions on disk 2 & configure Samba. Not sure how to do that from Windows, you will need a web-app on the server like Webmin.
    Now you are using the HP server as a server but installed Ubuntu desktop.
    This is not the very best choice, if you install a server-distro it most likely has a web-gui - I don't really think Ubuntu desktop has that you'll have to install it.
    But then, you are new and just want to learn so maybe not a good idea to fiddle around with different distros.
    Start with checking wheteher you have raid or not, and if not how second disk is partitioned & mounted.
    In pingvino veritas!

People's Republic of North America (Former United States)
    This is not the very best choice, if you install a server-distro it most likely has a web-gui - I don't really think Ubuntu desktop has that you'll have to install it.
    Agreed. I would install CentOS:

http://www.centos.org
    I equivocate, therefore I might be.

My Linux/Unix Boxes:
    Home: Slackware 10, CentOS 5.3, RHEL 5, Ubuntu Workstation 9.10, Work: RHEL 5, CentOS 5

the reason i went with ubuntu desktop is because being new i figured it would be easier for me to configure. The server does have a raid controller but it is not set up to mirror i have it set so that each drive is available in ubunto. The first thing i installed on it was ubuntu server and that is 100% command line and i was having difficulty with using that. Is there another release of server with a decent GUI that i could use. Unfortunately I do not know anyone who is any good with Linux so this has not been real easy to do.

Quote Originally Posted by klackenfus View Post
    Agreed. I would install CentOS:

http://www.centos.org
    im going to download and install this on the other hard drive and see what i can do.