Ubuntu server 10.04 - sudo aptitude update - sid?

Thread: Ubuntu server 10.04 - sudo aptitude update - sid?

Ubuntu server 10.04 - sudo aptitude update - sid?

Well, I'm new to, and just installed, Ubuntu 10 server on a little Supermicro Atom D510 server machine. I have an Ubuntu Server book on the way. But, in the meantime, I'm curious about the version and updating.

At the login screen I see that there are "67 packages can be updated" and "6 are security updates" - or something like that.

/etc/debian_version says "squeeze/sid". I read that 'sid' means unstable version.

I'm runnning 'sudo aptitude update' at the moment. Will 'update' bring the system up out of a 'sid' situation, so to speak? Or, do you have to run 'upgrade'? Or, is 'sid' just 'sid' and you have to download and install a version that isn't 'sid'? I don't recall seeing anything about my download being an unstable version. (Of course, I don't remember what I had for dinner last night either!)
    Last edited by bs_texas; 12-19-2010 at 06:52 PM.
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

I thought I made a mistake once, but, of course, I was mistaken.

Ignore that...if you downloaded and installed Ubuntu 10.04 server edition then you have Ubuntu 10.04 server edition with LTS (long term support0 your updates and uprgrades are provided by Canonical and are stable.

You can read about it here.
    Last edited by JohnT; 12-21-2010 at 02:34 AM.
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!