jbod function

Thread: jbod function

jbod function

Hi,
    I am setting up another computer with Debian 6 stable and i have only 2 normal sata slot on the motherboard, the board has also 2 other Raid sata slot, i don't want to use Raid, can i just plug my 3rd drive into one of those. I read that i can use those slot as JBOD (just another bunch of drive).
    By running a Mandriva live cd before i install any OS, i don't see that 3 rd drive.
    I don't see anything about JBOD in the bios. ???????
    Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Davno; 03-27-2011 at 01:52 AM.

Linux Counter

Debian "Lenny"
    Mandriva 2010.2

"Where am I?" "In the Village." "What do you want?" "Information.""Whose side are you on?" "That would be telling.... We want information. Information! INFORMATION!"

Look back in your BIOS and see if there is an Advanced tab, then something like IDE configuration. You should find a raid setting that can be enabled, then at post you should see something like "Press Ctrl + A for raid setup" I'm not sure if you will need a drive connected to the raid SATA plugs for this to show or not.

Thanks for the info.
    I found the ide configuration tab in the raid configuration, i did not know that was for the jbod.
    Still i think i need a bios update cause that particular drive work on other computer but not in this one. (old computer, new drive).

Linux Counter

Debian "Lenny"
    Mandriva 2010.2

"Where am I?" "In the Village." "What do you want?" "Information.""Whose side are you on?" "That would be telling.... We want information. Information! INFORMATION!"