No Mint 10 USB Boot

Thread: No Mint 10 USB Boot

No Mint 10 USB Boot

I have an older pent 4 computer with 2 GHz of ram. The m/b does not support usb boot but does auto mount usb.

This usb does work, have checked out in notebook.

I boot it with grub and I get a splash screen with the moving dots and that is it.

Is there a way to check the boot log on a usb boot?

Where did you place your Grub?

As far as I know Grub does not keep a log.

If the mobo does not support USB boot then that would be the end of the story. Old PCs normally need the USB legacy support to switch on for booting a USB device.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

The problem is solved. I took the wrong usb stick this morning.

I have grub installed on the h/d, mutiboot with grub2 in a designated partition.

I chainload them with the grub on h/d. I also carry a live cd to demonstrate grub. The reason I use usb over cd is the ease of carrying and space of handling 3 or 4 distros and of course netbooks.

I also forgot to ad that I did check the files on the wrong usb stick and it has all the right files, I need to work on it because it will not boot and I need to figure out.

I believe you can ask Grub2 in the h/d to boot the Linux installed or store in the USB disk.

In Grub2 prompt you can do
    Code:
    ls -l
    and Grub2 will list every partition in every disk. If you can see the USB partition Grub2 can boot them.

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

I did not know you could use the ls command in grub. Thank you for the information. I have always just guessed.

Quote Originally Posted by saikee View Post
    If the mobo does not support USB boot then that would be the end of the story.
    I had to pop in and comment because of the success I had using "plop" to boot with USB on an old computer:

http://www.plop.at/en/home.html

You can use it on a floppy, install it on a drive, etc.
    jack of all trades...master of nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Webb View Post
    I did not know you could use the ls command in grub. Thank you for the information. I have always just guessed.
    Grub2 does have some nice touch as it was not possible to view the directory in Grub1.

The "ls -l" in Grub is different to Linux kernel. It is good for the Grubs developers to use the same commands in Lunux for the same things in the boot loader.

Old version of Grub1 cannot see the USB disks unless it has been arranged as (hd0) by the Bios. Later versions of Grub1 seem to have this restriction removed. AFAIK Grub2 reads the USB disks and reports them as normal block devices. If Grub can see the disk and its partitions then Grub should be able to boot it. It doesn't matter where Grub originates from a floppy, a CD, a DVD or from an internal hard disk.
    Last edited by saikee; 04-18-2011 at 07:48 AM.

It doesn't matter where Grub originates from a floppy, a CD, a DVD or from an internal hard disk.
    Yes I that is right, if you can get to the grub prompt you have it made.