How Do I Install a tar.gz in 'Buntu?

Thread: How Do I Install a tar.gz in 'Buntu?

How Do I Install a tar.gz in 'Buntu?

Just to let you know I am trying to run an old KDE game called Klickety. I have 2 different versions of the game file. I downloaded the tar.gz file from Softpedia.com. I know there is/was something I got to add before I do a tar.gz in a Debian based OS. I just don't remember what.

Also, I did go to my synaptic package manager and downloded the KDEGames package but nothing works. When I click on any game the is a part of that package nothing happens. But when I create a link to the game and click on the icon I get an error of: KDEInit could not launch 'klickety'.:
    Could not find 'klickety' executable . Now coincidently I went to my old Kubuntu 8.04 hard drive (the one with the royally messed up bootloader) and did pull the Klickety game out of there and put it in a folder here in my Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick/Trinity. Now if I can figure out how to link these 2 together I'll be set.

So whicher ever is thought to be easier then lets go with that or heck give me both.

Pepse.
    Registered Linux User: 364162.

Just about the time you think you can make ends meet somebody moves the ends.

Try this link as an example.

These steps builds Grub1 into a distro but they are generic and should work in most cases
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

Okay, I'll give it a try.

Thanks.

Pepse.

I think it would normally work as (in directory with name.tar.gz)

gunzip name.tar.gz

tar -xvf name.tar

go into created subdirectory using

cd name

./configure

make

make install

But for a beginner, it is normally a good idea to try and find a package in an unbuntu repository (if you enable the universe repository, most applications should be available), then use the package manager to install, update, and uninstall it. Updating and uninstalling using source code is not beginner stuff.

It is very suprising that applications found in the ubuntu repositories have missing dependencies, as that is what the package manager is supposed to handle. Perhaps you should post to the ubuntu forums.

With the exception of the "gunzip" the rest looks like standard un-zipping like I did a lot in Mandrake/Mandriva.

I did discover that all the games I installed though Kubuntu/Trinity now work. Strange. It acts a bit like windows. Reboot and it is all there.

But the commands you gave me will be necessary if I run in to this situation again; unzipping something in Buntu.

Thanx. Pepse.

I actually like to install via a *.deb - if that can be found for the app that I am interested.

yes - that means that 'someone else' has done the hard work, to get that app into a installer.

eg: Opera.deb - whereas FF only issues a *.tar.gz

which then has to be 'unzipped' into a /directory