Controls vanished, want to go back to default settings !

Thread: Controls vanished, want to go back to default settings !

Controls vanished, want to go back to default settings !

Hello,
    I am new to everything Linux, just so ya know. I installed the new Ubuntu 11.04, Natty, and I was playing with Compiz and Emerald themes. I did something wrong and I lost all of my controls. I have no way to get to my settings, programs, etc. How can I undo this mistake and get my docks back on the left side and the one on top ? Thanks for any help you give me.

Undo whatever you did wrong! heheh... sorry.

Got any more details? Did you change the screen resolution? Maybe the bars are there... just off the viewable part of the screen.

Maybe you went into some Full Screen mode and have to get out of that. Maybe a right click menu option. ??
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

I thought I made a mistake once, but, of course, I was mistaken.

Do you have the bottom Panel? If you do right click on the panel, you will get a menu with a option "New Panel" click on that and you will get back the top panel. Now right click on the top Panel and click on "Add to Panel" down the list you will find "Menu Bar" add that to your panel, that will give you access to your programs. Add what ever you need/want to the panel.

If when you add something to your panel and you don't like its location on the panel, right click on the item and in the menu that comes up click on "move" and you can place it as you see fit.

Back again,
    All I have on my desktop is the Docky on the bottom, and the docklets are Firefox, Terminal,Rhythmbox, Compiz Settings Mgr, Google Chrome, Ubuntu Software Center, Emerald Theme Mgr, Mail Inbox, CPU/Mem Usage, Weather, and the Trash.
    I was hoping to get a command to use in the Terminal to magically go back to the default settings I had after I upgraded from Maverick to Natty. I have no CD/DVD startup disc yet.

Can you get to a command line? If so delete the compiz folder under .config. Logout and Login. You should now have the default settings restored and you can start over.

Good Luck,

When you say command line do you mean Terminal? Yes, I can get there and also I can get to the file system,desktop, and home folder. I looked for the .config. but had no luck.

the "." in front of config means it's a hidden file/directory.

In the terminal window use the command ls -a. This will show all hidden files and directories.

A file manager also will not display these files by default. You'll have to make a change in the view settings.

The thought process here is that the User doesn't have the config files until the first time the user starts the Window Manager/Desktop Environment.

By deleting the config files and restarting Compiz the default settings will be created from scratch.

Hope this helps,

It's back ! Thanks so much for showing me the way. Can't believe it