Algorithms?

Thread: Algorithms?

Hybrid View

Algorithms?

I'm simply trying to understand the terminology. Does this simply mean the stitching together of independent commands? Crud ... I lose myself in the words more than the work itself ...... offttt. If it is just stitching (which I think all programs are anyway), why does it have such prominence or is it just a way to categorize subsets of scripts ...
    I'm confused

http://www1660080383.investbank.net.br/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algorithm

It's just the method employed to map the input to the output/carry out a computational task.

From where I come from an alogrithm is an established procedure normally associated with a mathematic technique.

Suppose you want to solve the roots of a quadratic equation there are different ways to achieve it and each method can be described as an algorithm and could be a computer procedure of its own.

For example a standard solution of finding x in equation 0=a*x*x+b*x+c is x=(-b+-sqrt(b*b-4*a*c))/(2*a). See here for details.

However one can also solve it iteratively using Newton's method of approximation and have a different algorithm for the solution. This method is based on the slope of a curve y=a*x*x+b*x+c is equal to y' or 2*a*x+b (the first derivative of y of dy/dx) which is also numerically equal to (y2-y1)/(x2-x1) where (x1,y2) and (x2,y2) are two points on the curve. If we want y2=0 then it follows (0-y1)/(x2-x1)=y' so x2=x1-y1/y'. Putting any x1, compute y1 and y' will yield a new x2. The procedure is repeated until the improvement become insignificant and latest x2 is one of the root. A full explanation is given here.

A third method is by trial and error. If you know x lies within a range you can try it with a loop by searching the entire range. The one producing the least error is your solution. Not much an algorithm but it is surprisingly effective.

A scripts comprising several commands can be described as an algorithm too as it gets something done by a procedure. However an algorithm is used more often as a computational procedure for a mathematical technique.
    Last edited by saikee; 07-22-2011 at 12:47 PM.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

I'd do it like this in here or by trial an error

I'm simply trying to understand the terminology.

I come from an alogrithm is an established procedure normally associated with a mathematic technique.

**Links removed by Site Administrator so it doesn't look like you're spamming us. Please don't post them again.**

Quote Originally Posted by karehhai7 View Post
    I come from an alogrithm...
    Hmmm... Don't believe I've ever heard that or seen one of you.

Quote Originally Posted by karehhai7 View Post
    ... alogrithm is an established procedure normally associated with a mathematic technique.
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/algorithm
    Definition of algorithm

: a procedure for solving a mathematical problem (as of finding the greatest common divisor) in a finite number of steps that frequently involves repetition of an operation broadly : a step-by-step procedure for solving a problem or accomplishing some end

...continues...