Building a Computer - Compatable?

Thread: Building a Computer - Compatable?

Building a Computer - Compatable?

Hi!

I'm building a computer for the first time and decided that this would be a good opportunity to fully make the leap to Linux from Windows. I've been considering the different distros and am going to go with Ubuntu.

I was hoping someone could confirm that all of the parts I picked out are compatible with Ubuntu (and with themselves!) before I go and spend money. I spent a lot of time researching today, but I'm still very green at this sort of thing and would like insight from more experienced people. Here's what I'm planning on buying:

Motherboard: MSI P67A-G43 (B3)

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K

Case and PS: Antec Three Hundred + BP430

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB

Video Card: EVGA 01G-P3-N959-TR GeForce 9500 GT

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS

DVD Drive: Sony DDU1681S-0B

Monitor: Acer S201HLbd

Keyboard (already have a mouse): Logitech K360

Speakers: Logitech S-220 17

Thank you so much in advance for any advice you can give!

PS: Sorry if I'm not supposed to be asking this sort of thing here. I read through the rules and it seemed on topic and OK. If this is the wrong spot, could someone point me in the right direction?

yeags,

Welcome to Justlinux!

I always build my own box and never have a second thought if the parts fits Linux. Nowadays Linux is so good that it can cope with almost anything. Vista and Win7 copied Linux approach and are pre-loaded with drivers so rarely you would need to worry feeding a modern system with drivers.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

In the old days we worried about sound, video, etc support but it is moot now

Thanks! That what I had heard, but I wanted to check.

Don't know much about this sort of stuff - so just practicing on your specs.

According to http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130395 the minimum power supply if you are using SLI is 400W and your psu is rated at 430. Are you sailing a bit close to the wind? Have heard psu ratings can be a bit imaginative.

Wikipedia:

"The most important factor for judging a PSUs suitability for certain graphics cards is the PSUs total 12V output, as it is that voltage on which modern graphics cards operate. If the total 12V output stated on the PSU is higher than the suggested minimum of the card, then that PSU can fully supply the card. It is however recommended that a PSU should not just cover the graphics cards' demands, as there are other components in the PC that depend on the 12 V output, including the CPU , disk drives and optical drives."

System Requirements
    Minimum of a 350 Watt power supply.
    (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 18 Amp Amps.)
    Minimum 400 Watt for SLI mode system.
    (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 22 Amp Amps.)

Output
    +3.3V@20A, +5V@20A, +12V1@17A, +12V2@16A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@2.5A
    You're probably not using SLI, come to think of it.

Can't understand above statistics myself, but none of the 12V lines is up to the 18A level.

My computer is unbootable at the moment possibly due to this issue. Anyroad the stuff has presumably already been bought from the date of OP.
    Last edited by lugoteehalt; 09-20-2011 at 12:36 AM.
    MI6, Offensive Information, Hackers, Encryption, UFO, AOL, Infowar, Bubba, benelux, Ufologico Nazionale, domestic disruption, 15kg, DUVDEVAN, debugging, Bluebird, Ionosphere, Keyhole, NABS, Kilderkin, Artichoke, Badger, spookwords, EuroFed, SP4, Crypto AG – a few, alleged, Echelon keywords. Please add some to your email signature. Full list: http://www.serendipity.li/cia/bz1.html
    http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/

Since this is your 1st attempt @ building a 'box'
    - I'd suggest going to a smaller pc shop & asking for a "bare bones box"
    - they should give you a print-out of it's spec's - which you can adjust slightly - to suit your needs - more appropriately .

- just about anything that they supply - will works with any modern Linux O/S.

-> don't pay for any operating system:- ie M$ - as you are going elsewhere -> Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by yeags View Post
    Hi!

I'm building a computer for the first time and decided that this would be a good opportunity to fully make the leap to Linux from Windows. I've been considering the different distros and am going to go with Ubuntu.

I was hoping someone could confirm that all of the parts I picked out are compatible with Ubuntu (and with themselves!) before I go and spend money. I spent a lot of time researching today, but I'm still very green at this sort of thing and would like insight from more experienced people. Here's what I'm planning on buying:

Motherboard: MSI P67A-G43 (B3)

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K

Case and PS: Antec Three Hundred + BP430

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB

Video Card: EVGA 01G-P3-N959-TR GeForce 9500 GT

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS

DVD Drive: Sony DDU1681S-0B

Monitor: Acer S201HLbd

Keyboard (already have a mouse): Logitech K360

Speakers: Logitech S-220 17

Thank you so much in advance for any advice you can give!

PS: Sorry if I'm not supposed to be asking this sort of thing here. I read through the rules and it seemed on topic and OK. If this is the wrong spot, could someone point me in the right direction?
    Hi, Yeags
    I wish I could build one I applaud your efforts. I tried to add a hard drive to a system it worked but, it was kind of messy and was not organized. I now have an Emachine from nephew's dad and it came with windows and was so cluttered there was only 10 gb left on this 150 gb HD. I could not dual boot well so, I formatted and did a clean install. I think building your own assure it's (linuxbox) integrity. I am still jazzed about my first Linux machine.

Not to dissuade you, but http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/