About my project[need suggestions]

Thread: About my project[need suggestions]

About my project[need suggestions]

I am going to develop a program for linux. It is a package backup & restore program. It is going to backup packages and when needed it will restore. If you have suggestions, i would like to hear them. Which features should i include.

Most Linux programs can be installed and removed by the Package Manager so there is not much to gain from backing them back except saving the settings if any. However I would have preferred to get the programs from the distro repository as they are guaranteed to be the most up to date.

What benefit you hope to gain by backing the programs up?

Normally if we do back up we do it on the personal data only.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

The benefit to backing up programs likely are:

1. You don't have to re-download them via your distros package manager.

2. If the install/config is complex having all the settings backed up (i.e. config files, etc) makes it easier to install the program on another computer.

3. Assuring the correct program versions. Maybe the distro you run only likes a certain version of certain programs. I remember running SuperTux a few years ago and it ran fine. A few months ago I tried running the latest version of SuperTux and had lots of problems.

kenpachi.oae,

Release your program frequently and get it tested a lot. That is the tried and true method to get rid of bugs. Also, document your program extensively and in the most basic terms. I have written program documentation and found that html (with links to screen shots in a subfolder) is great for teaching even the most basic of users. For visual learners a text description is often difficult to learn from.
    Currently running Xubuntu & Blag.

My blog:
    http://truthjournal.blogspot.com

The Easy Guide to Installing debian:
    http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=2016