Installing FC 15

Thread: Installing FC 15

Installing FC 15

Guys & gals,

Its frustration time again. No matter what I do cannot upgrade/load FC 15.

1. Have FC 2 running on my server machine, no problems.
    2. Went to Fedoraproject.org to get latest version of Fedora, downloaded an ISO disk and converted it using PowerISO version 4.8 to a usable form.
    3. The following files were on the converted and verified CD (592,189,440 bytes).
    a. EFI
    b. isolinux
    c. LiveOS
    d. GPL
    Found this statement about upgrades on fedoraproject.org

Need to upgrade Fedora?
    Live Media can't be used to upgrade Fedora installations. Instead, you can upgrade Fedora right from your desktop. Do this by using Preupgrade - it will install the packages you need and upgrade your version of Fedora. I Went to
    PreUpgrade - found these insrctions,

PreUpgrade is an application you can use to upgrade Fedora while continuing to use it. PreUpgrade downloads the packages required for the upgrade. Once everything is downloaded and set up, you will be notified that you can reboot at any time to start the Fedora upgrade. This method of upgrading is explicitly tested and supported by Fedora. To read more, refer to PreUpgrade.

I then went to preUpgrade and found these instructions:

Prepare the system
    While preupgrade provides a generally hassle free upgrade experience. The following steps are recommended before proceeding.

1. Backup - Before performing any system maintenance, it is recommended that you back up all important data before proceeding.

2. Update - Apply available updates Fedora updates before proceeding. As the root user, issue the following command yum update Install

As of Fedora 10, the preupgrade utility is included in a default Fedora install. However, the package can be installed manually using the yum command.
    yum install preupgrade

4. Went to my Linux computer FC 2 and this is what I got;

[root@xxxxxx root]# yum update
    Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
    Server: Fedora Core 2 - i386 – Base
    retrygrab( ) failed for:
    http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu.../linux/core/2/
    i386/os/headers/header.info
    Executing failover method
    failover: out of servers to try
    Error getting file http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/
    linux/core/2/i386/os/headers/header.info
    [Errno 4] IOError: HTTP Error 404: Not Found

5. As for as I know I am the administrator.

6. QUESTION: What the heck do I do now to load FC 15 !!

preupgrade is for upgrading over the network. If you have a DVD there's no need to do it.

For various reasons preupgrade probably wouldn't work on FC2, not least of which because it requires a fairly large /boot partition and it wasn't until recently that the Fedora installer created it big enough.

FC2 is obsolete. You can't yum update it because the files no longer live on the Fedora main website, hence your 404 error. They've been archived.

I'm not sure what you mean by converting an ISO image to a "usable form" as all you need do is burn it to DVD. In any case it sounds like you have the DVD so just boot from that. You may be given the chance to do a straight upgrade but unless you have data you want to keep I'd recommend blowing FC2 away. If you do have data you want to keep I'd recommend taking a backup and then blowing FC2 away.

In any case, have fun. There's quite a leap from FC2 to Fedora 15.